Options

buying a switch

dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
Looking to buy a switch for home use. I currently have (2) 4 ports piggy-backed and about to add a third. Instead, I am planning to pick up a 16 or 24 port managed gigabit switch cheap. The only reason I am looking for a managed switch is to use it for some practice. I took courses in college based on the CCNA and CCDA books but haven't touched a managed switch in about 6 years or so so I think it would be a good idea to get back into shape with my Cisco (or something similar) systems. Cisco would be the obvious choice due to commercial popularity but other popular brands would be ok too.

Any suggestions on a brand or model? This will be for home use and will be in my office pretty close to my desk so noise is a factor if it is too loud. Trying to stay under about $50-60 too if possible.

Comments

• Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    look on ebay. I got a netgear 24 port on there for like 40.00, Cisco would be more.

Hey a 6 sigma white belt brother. Tough wasn't it, glad I survived it
  • Options
    lol. yeah. pretty tough test there but i survived it icon_lol.gif

Been looking on eBay but figured I would get advice from the experts here first. My current job I don't touch switches and my last job we used unmanaged switches so figured if I am going to pick one up it might as well be one that can help in my labbing.
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dhay13 wrote: »
    Looking to buy a switch for home use. I currently have (2) 4 ports piggy-backed and about to add a third. Instead, I am planning to pick up a 16 or 24 port managed gigabit switch cheap. The only reason I am looking for a managed switch is to use it for some practice. I took courses in college based on the CCNA and CCDA books but haven't touched a managed switch in about 6 years or so so I think it would be a good idea to get back into shape with my Cisco (or something similar) systems. Cisco would be the obvious choice due to commercial popularity but other popular brands would be ok too.

Any suggestions on a brand or model? This will be for home use and will be in my office pretty close to my desk so noise is a factor if it is too loud. Trying to stay under about $50-60 too if possible.

Something like this is a little over-budget but might work well for you
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well you have layer 3 switches such as the 3560G and 3750G, but they are going to be closer to $200.
    Then, for a little less are the 2960G which is a limited layer 3 switch. (you have static routes, not routing protocols)
    And, for a layer 2 switch there is the 2970 which sells for less than $100.
    poe for things like wireless access points, phones, security cameras, etc. are a bit more.

Cisco has never made anything for the "i'm going to be putting this on my desk so noise is a consideration" home market. That being said they do make some 8 port switches that are designed without fans and are real quiet. You could "piggyback"/"daisy chain" your 4 port switches to get more ports.

But, whenever price/noise/power consumption is a consideration. Your better off buying a unmanaged linksys or netgear switch.
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To be honest I'd get a nice 16-24 port unmanaged Gigabit switch and if you want to practice CCNA level stuff either build yourself a lab or try grab yourself a copy of Packet Tracer. Labbing on your production kit is only going to cause SLA issues with the significant other/family/parents/self. Buying Cisco gear means you'll be paying good money for what is essentially outdated 100BaseT gear and there is limited utility with only a single switch.

HTH
  • Options
    Good point. Just figured if I had to buy one I might as well get one that will be the best bang for my buck.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dhay13 wrote: »
    Looking to buy a switch for home use

Just purchased a hub yesterday from Ebay, had a hell of a time finding one. Most people don't know a hub from a switch, 99% of the time when the listing says Hub, they really mean switch.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    yeah, i have an old 3com hub here but never going to use it.