Options

RHCA worth going for compared to RHCE for employers?

RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all.

Here's the situation... I'll likely be looking to relocate to somewhere warmer in the next 2-3 years. My organization has dramatically made the decision that our infrastructure environment will be primarily Red Hat (including current Windows servers).

I'm a senior UNIX engineer and the most knowledgeable with Linux on our team of 8. We've recently been blessed with insane amounts of training opportunities.

We've taken the RHCSA rapid track and Virtualization courses in house over the past month, with promises of 2-3 on-site courses this year. Additionally, each of us has been given access to the Red Hat Learning Subcription (unlimited online classes) and told to go for certs if we feel like it.

So, I absolutely plan to get the RHCSA and RHCE exams. Perhaps even the RHCVA as I'll be building our RHEV environment; however, is there really any benefit going for RHCA (architect)? It will require 5 exams beyond RHCE.

From my point of view, it sounds impressive to have but really isn't super feasible outside of working for Red Hat or Rackspace. Would potential employers in the future even know what it is or care?

Asking because it'd be a significant time dedication on my part as well as a lot of money my company would have to fork up for exams and travel to take exams.

What do you think? Is RHCE sufficient given my circumstances?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I don't see the RHCA asked for much, and usually when it is asked for it will be RHCA OR RHCE. RHCA seems to validate the skills that you'd expect a senior Linux person to have. RHCE covers the base skills that you would want a Linux engineer/admin to have. So for most people who could have RHCA, they'd also have a number of years experience as Linux engineer as well. My experience, and what I've heard others say, is that in the Linux world generally experience (hands on skills, in particular) counts for a lot more than certifications.

The only RHCA I've met was a trainer for Red Hat, who didn't have to pay for training or exams. And if someone else is paying, and you are interested, why not pursue the RHCA?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    And if someone else is paying, and you are interested, why not pursue the RHCA?

True, but it doesn't seem to be about the money.

Rather, maybe OP's time would be better spent/invested in learning something else?

For what it's worth, i though RHCA was a typo.
    lol

Edit:
    how many tests exams need to get rhcsa & rhce respectively?
  • Options
    RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the advice so far, very helpful. It would certainly be free to me -- company would pay travel/exams, and I already have access to unlimited Red Hat classes to prep for it via the Learning Subscription.

Time is sort of the bigger issue... I'm not yet ready for the RHCE, but plan to take both the RHCSA and RHCE in Mid Feb on the same day.

RHCA (architect) requires the RHCSA, RHCE, plus 5 additional exams. I'm probably fairly prepped to take the Satellite and Virtualization one already. I would need to take both of those, then study for and pass 3 additional exams post RHCE.

That's a pretty big time commitment I guess the concern is that it wouldn't be worth the effort, in terms of increased demand from employers in the future. That being said, I'm not looking to milk my company dry on training and burn out. I'm just curious about the outlook down the road.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    While a lot of people don't even know what an RHCA is, Red Hat knows the value of RHCA so in a way it will open doors for you for a job in Red Hat.

I worked as a Unix engineer/admin/etc for about 7 yrs and my opinion is that go for it! You will learn a lot. The knowledge is worth it. However, keep an eye on the market, you may want to sharpen your Amazon AWS skills.

If you have the time and resources, go for RHCA .. the knowledge and growth is worth it.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    If your company will sponsor you for it I think that's great and you should definitely at least pursue the RHCSA then RHCE. I'm not fond of the RHCA because once you have it after passing all 7 exams, you have to pass 5 more exams every 3 years to retain it. UnixGuy is right in that Red Hat will definitely offer you a job, since their the biggest employer of RHCAs. I heard somewhere that Dell is a close second.
  • Options
    volfkhat wrote: »
    True, but it doesn't seem to be about the money.

Rather, maybe OP's time would be better spent/invested in learning something else?

For what it's worth, i though RHCA was a typo.
    lol

Edit:
    how many tests exams need to get rhcsa & rhce respectively?

1 exam - RHCSA - $400
    1 exam - RHCE - $400 (can be taken before RHCSA, but you won't receive the actual certification until you pass RHCSA)
    5 x exams - RHCA - $600 a piece = $3,000

Total of $3,800 not counting any failed exams or learning materials that may be purchased. Then repeat 5 more exams every 3 years to retain RHCA.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Verities wrote: »
    1 exam - RHCSA - $400
    1 exam - RHCE - $400 (can be taken before RHCSA, but you won't receive the actual certification until you pass RHCSA)
    5 x exams - RHCA - $600 a piece = $3,000

Total of $3,800 not counting any failed exams or learning materials that may be purchased. Then repeat 5 more exams every 3 years to retain RHCA.

lol

i wonder if OP would be better off stopping at RHCE, and then building an AWS skillset instead.
  • Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lol

i wonder if OP would be better off stopping at RHCE, and then building an AWS skillset instead.
    I'd go with AWS and/or security, such as CISSP if OP has enough experience to qualify. I would think that good linux skills combined with cloud and security and backed up by RHCE, AWS and (possibly CISSP or the upcoming AWS Security cert) could be a strong career driver.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    lol

Yep, RHCE + AWS or OpenStack is huge right now since companies have a lot of stake in cloud technologies. I'm personally going with AWS and CCNA to compliment my Linux skills and my RHCE.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I agree..combine Linux skills (RHCE level) with AWS, some security (not necessarily CISSP, but why not..) and Splunk, and you're gold.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com