Options

Balancing family obligations with work obligations

9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
Been at my current job for just a few months, and the only time I've taken off so far was a couple hours to see a dentist. I picked a non-production day to do this, so it wasn't really a problem. Recently, my father asked me to take him in for surgery...on a production day. I said sure, but it gives me some anxiety because there's no one else who can run the performance tests at work. This essentially means the client is going to get their report a few hours later than usual.

I told the CEO I was taking my father in for surgery, but I'd be sure to have the work done that day, albeit a few hours late. He didn't respond or comment.

I'm left wondering if there was a better way to handle this. It felt like I was being pinned between family obligation and work obligation with no real way out.

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Family first, work second. Depending on the state that you are there are laws that allow you to take days off for medical reasons if you are the care taker for some person, not only close family, it can be an uncle for example. Talk to your HR first, no need to go to the CEO directly unless that's who you report, but even then HR first to find the rules and then your manager.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I'm not sure what country you are in, but always put your family before work. The work can be done, but your family can't be replaced. The fact that your company can't run its test without you is kinda silly. What would they do if you got stuck on a trip or needed to take a vacation or you just decided that you quit.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's actually work that pays family bills usually, so working is contributing to your family well-being unless you are rich and can afford getting by just okay without working.

Work time is a work time, I never say "sure" even if my wife asks me to do something at the time. If the time isn't critical for my work I may agree, otherwise I decline and may offer workarounds.

If it leads to problems and your work is a significant source of income for your family then arrange a taxi cab or ask someone who has a free day to do that instead of you. It's not a question of life and death and driving a car is doable for pretty much anyone, not just you.
  • Options
    dlvega0030dlvega0030 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jobs come and go. family cant be bought.
    so yeah, family first.
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    remember who was there before the job and who will be there after the job.

Might be time to train someone up for occasion like this.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN