Options

I feel like im being avoided like a plague

Wrighty11xblWrighty11xbl Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

Currently been applying for jobs left right and centre and just feeling ignored by all recruiters. Even jobs I've had interviews for have declined me and not provided feedback.

So I dunno, is it me?

Would you guys be happy to look over my CV and give me any pointers, I feel its pretty solid but... I dont know.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The first thing that sticks out to me is how many freaking I's you have in your resume. I this I that.

I utilise the skills learnt from my time on technical support in order to providehigh level technical and faults support for complaints which come through highpriority channels such as CEO complaints or MP complaints. Drop the I

Another one

"I am able to connect with customers by showing empathy, provide activelistening and support their situation, providing an excellent customer servicethroughout" Connect with customers by showing empathy etc....

I would start there...
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been searching for over a year and I've seen periods where they just aren't needing your services, then other times you have to beat them off with a stickicon_smile.gif.

Still getting through the complete hiring system these days is really ridiculous.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Resume aside, this time of year is probably the worst to be looking with the holidays and all.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can drop the self study section:

Education -Current Study. You could place this part in your cover letter.

Definitely drop the "I", you need to think of what you did, and can do for the company past, present, and future.

Try this thread by srabiee:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/113891-resume-writing-resources.html
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    your resume is not bad but i believe an easier format would be best. This resume can be put into one page, and it should be.

Remove the self study section, you can note this in your main objective title or even better, no objective save that for the cover letter. Your contact details can be moved below your name which should be centered in the document. The format isnt bad, but what I see is a lot of info spread out over two pages. Recruiters are lazy they view hundreds of resumes a day for a single job, you want to get your point across as efficiently as possible. All those skills on the left side are consuming a large amount of room. Do some research on resume formatting. I think this will greatly help, and get it down to one page.

Best of luck bud
  • Options
    NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    Remove certifications on your CV that you don't have such as the MCSA because potential employers will only be interested in certs you currently hold.
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So far all of the tips above have been solid
    What I can recommend since I was heavily job searching in 2016 I can recommend the following
    1) Remove retail experience (save that for linkedin if anything)
    2) If you have a college degree, list that first instead of the certifications that you are looking to complete
    3) Re-do the format of your resume. It seems to me you would like to stretch it to two pages but at this stage of your career that may not be necessary. Either you are omitting skills you have learned on the job or you can simply make it one page and get creative with the space of it.

It would help you if you could place job descriptions of jobs that you want within your resume
    What is it that you're looking for anyway?
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Get rid of the "areas of expertise" on the side, integrate it into the main body.
    Tighten things up - At this stage in your career, you should be able to fit everything on a single page. Even later in life you go to two pages max, unless you're a published university professor that needs to list every publication they have had
    Get rid of the obvious - "Team skills" and "quick and eager learner" are not areas of expertise unless you're a psychologist. A clean driver's license and "references on request" are also assumed
    Focus on things you have done, not things you might do or what you're working on
    Get rid of the "Is"
    Maybe things are different in the UK but in the US, once you have a college degree, no one cares what you did in high school.
    Volunteering - This is your one area to inject a little emotion into a very emotionless process. Get rid of the techie details, you perform IT services for Plusnet PLC that does ... (for PlusNet PLC, an organization devoted to ensuring every homeless person has a cracker and cake at Christmas)

I'm also going to agree with getting rid of the retail experience and wouldn't even put it on LinkedIn. It was only for 14 months and wasn't in the area you want to work in. I see no benefit to adding it and see downside with the short time-frame. You've worked in your current job for 18 months, so when I see that and I see 14 months in the retail job, I start thinking "job hopper".