Very strange networking problem. Seems VERY hard to solve

2»

Comments

• TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How would I make the images readable?
  • shortstop20shortstop20 Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In the very last picture it says Who has 192.168.0.1? Tell 192.168.0.6. I'm .3 on my network. Could this be the issue?

Also I don't have the option to change the MAC to my laptops MAC? I believe I'm in the right spot.

That is what's known as an ARP request/reply and it is perfectly normal on a network.
    CCNA Security - 6/11/2018
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If other computers download fine on your network and its isolated to just the Asus MB I would just open up a RMA with Asus. Your just chasing ghosts at this point.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Odd thing is that he can download fine through a VPN client..
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would be curious to see if you put the modem into "transparent bridge mode" and connected a small router behind it with just NAT enabled. A lot of ISPs are cracking down on Bittorrent's and maybe the modem is throttling on that Mac address. Just a theory. Might be worth buying a Intel PCI-E nic card and tossing it in. He is in so deep now that he almost has to fix it or die trying, lol
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
    Agreed. I've seen this once where a guy I knew in college got one of his MAC addresses banned by the ISP for some stupid things he did. Needless to say, changing the MAC on the NIC allowed him to work around that ban. Can't say I've ever encountered this sort of action from an ISP in any other occasion though.

The "transparent" mode might help alleviate this issue but the problem with this approach is that some of these modems have modified firmware and ISPs intentionally remove this feature as they don't officially support this sort of deployment. Even if you flip the modem into "transparent" mode there's still some toying around with the NAT router to get PPPoE configured right...a lot of variables to juggle with.

@TechnicalJay: try this MAC Address in Windows: Change, Lookup, Spoofing
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    post the .pcap instead of images
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agreed. I've seen this once where a guy I knew in college got one of his MAC addresses banned by the ISP for some stupid things he did. Needless to say, changing the MAC on the NIC allowed him to work around that ban.
    Does the MAC address leave the internal network? Unless the ISP is controlling the modem/router.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • shortstop20shortstop20 Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Does the MAC address leave the internal network? Unless the ISP is controlling the modem/router.

The ISP would never see the MAC address of the client unless it was plugged directly into the ISP modem.

Of course, it's quite possible they just banned the MAC address of his router and he changed the MAC to get back on. Regardless, MAC addresses are local to the subnet, they don't cross a L3 boundary.
    CCNA Security - 6/11/2018
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agreed. I've seen this once where a guy I knew in college got one of his MAC addresses banned by the ISP for some stupid things he did. Needless to say, changing the MAC on the NIC allowed him to work around that ban. Can't say I've ever encountered this sort of action from an ISP in any other occasion though.

The "transparent" mode might help alleviate this issue but the problem with this approach is that some of these modems have modified firmware and ISPs intentionally remove this feature as they don't officially support this sort of deployment. Even if you flip the modem into "transparent" mode there's still some toying around with the NAT router to get PPPoE configured right...a lot of variables to juggle with.

@TechnicalJay: try this MAC Address in Windows: Change, Lookup, Spoofing
    Thanks I'll try this when I get home

What will be interesting is that I'm moving Feb 3 and getting will be getting a new connection so if I can't get this fixed by then we'll see if it really is my computer or something to do with the connection at my current place. If it's the same problem at the new place I'll buy another MOBO and report the results
    @MAC_Addy: his PC was plugged straight into the ISP router which they had full control of. He would use a dial-up network connection on his desktop to authenticate his machine with the carrier. Happened a couple of years ago (around 8 or 9).

Not sure how the OPs modem/router operates. Guess the .pcap would be best or at least some readable screenshots.

@TechnicalJay: if you plug a crossover cable between your laptop and this PC, can you confirm you're able to move files from the PC to the laptop? Guess since the VPN client worked for you this should as well..
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
  • daveybdaveyb Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you try dropping your MTU like I suggested?