Options

Current MBA student in IT

shawn488shawn488 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been in my current job almost a year. I transitioned out of the Army last year. I make around $105k total comp in my current position. I would really like to move into management sooner than later. I really enjoy my current position and don't want to leave but obviously I won't be sticking around long after I get my MBA if there are no management opportunities. My boss is at the Director level. His other team has a manager in between but our team doesn't. I'm thinking about asking him about making me a manager for my group. Is a year too soon to be asking for a promotion? The only reason I'm considering is because I know I am a valuable member of the team and he always intro's me to people as a senior engineer of the group even though I've only been there a year over guys who have been there 10+ years. I'm interested to hear you guys thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have an annual performance review coming up that's a great time to break the ice and express your desire to progress in the department towards a managerial role and test the waters about how he feels about that. Ask your manager what's the path you need to take to make that happen and if he's amenable then start working towards a progression path.

Based on how your relationship is with your manager I think your manager could appreciate the directness rather than you getting your MBA and jumping ship without every discussing your goals.

Do it!
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    Director level here. I know I'd really appreciate one of my people coming to me and talking to me about where they want to go in terms of their own growth. I can tell you that my first inclination would not to be to assess you, since anyone coming to talk me has the right ATTITUDE and I can teach the apititude part through coaching -- rather my concern would be how it affects the team culture and morale/balance of the people that would be reporting to you. Do they see you as a peer rather than a manager. It can be done, but for someone with no management experience it can be a much tougher nut to crack than starting fresh in a firm in a leadership position, but I also get that if you don't have management experience it might be difficult for you to land in that position at a new firm.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    What rank did you transition out of the army at? What it at least an E6? If so u should already have some idea on leading teams and some of the paperwork burden on management.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    shawn488shawn488 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got out as an E-6. I have leadership experience. My last role in the Army was senior supervisor working for the White House Communications Agency.