Options

Why choose CCSP over CISSP

MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm the first to admit that I'm all over the place with my certification plan. I think a lot of my issues are because I'm trying to focus on security, and there's so many different areas to it.

By day, I'm currently a network engineer (sr network analyst, by title). I spent a number of years as an MS Exchange/Office365/VMware (server/VDI) admin.

I was working on my CCNP Security, I passed 1 of 4 exams. I took a break from that, and now started studying for the CISSP. Why did I do this? Mainly because it's highly recognized and it looks good on the resume. However, something keeps drawing me to the ISC's CCSP certification (and not because the CCNP Security was previously CCSP :) ).

I'm still very interested in Network Security, but cloud is also interesting and could be good for the career. I'm not quite clear if those two areas typically tie into a single position.

I'm on the fence, not sure if I should I stay on course and stick with CISSP, Switch to CCSP, or forget them both and go back to CCNP Security.

Decisions Decisions

Comments

• Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Between CISSP and CSSP, go with CISSP. It is more board based and related to the work you have been doing.
    CCSP is kinda CISSP adapted for the cloud with focus on regulations and cloud-related issues; and you did not mention about cloud experience with say AWS or Azure.

Download the exam outline for both CISSP and CSSP from ISC2 web site to view domain areas that are covered. That will give you a good feel of their differences.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I have some Azure experience, not much. Other than that, its cloud services, like O365, or cloud file share/backup services, that use AWS. Those vendors handle the AWS piece behind the scenes

I surely wouldn't mind learning AWS/Azure though.

Ideally, I'd like a technical "security engineer" position where I'd be handling things like firewalls, vpns, and cloud as well. Not a development role, though.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The CISSP and CCSP are more security management than tecnically engineering, with CISSP being more recognised of the two.

You can look at AWS certifications to do a deep dive into cloud computing; they have architect solutions certifications and the advanced networking cert is in beta.
  • Options
    Thanks Mike. I agree CISSP seems like the better option.

I almost chose CASP instead, because it seemed to be a little more technical than the CISSP
  • Options
    518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MitM wrote: »
    Thanks Mike. I agree CISSP seems like the better option.

I almost chose CASP instead, because it seemed to be a little more technical than the CISSP

The supposed "technical" sim for CASP isnt really that technical at all. When I failed CISSP in Dec 2015, I went to take CASP a month after without studying much. CASP's firewall lab doesnt take too much knowledge. As well, in my environment, CASP doesnt really hold much weight for security folks.