Full use of alloted time for an exam???

TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
Just reading a post by Keatron and notice he figures that most people would use 3 out of the 4 hours alotted for the exam?

The reason I ask is that I spent all of 30 mins writing my 290 and about 50 mins writing the 291. Is anyone finding the exams take them longer??

Just curious.
On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?

Comments

  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    i've never seen 4 hours allotted for an exam, but i usually spend about 2 - 2:30 out of 3 hours.
    witty comment
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,208 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The exact total time I was alloted was 4 hrs and 15 minutes (15 minutes for comments and the survey). This is based on a few things including how many of what types of questions you have, and how many questions you have total in general. I had about 5 sims where as most people who've went before me reported usually 3. I too was shocked to see 4 hrs 15 minutes in my prometric registration email. I have to admit, Microsoft is starting to make things interesting.

    _omni_ wrote:
    i've never seen 4 hours allotted for an exam, but i usually spend about 2 - 2:30 out of 3 hours.

    CISSP was 6 hours, I took exactly 5 hours and 53 minutes icon_lol.gif I have a habit of using as much of my time as possible.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I can't imagine spending 6 hrs writing an exam... Your brain must have been fried afterwards.

    My 291 exam wasn't easy but I had to only concentrate for an hour ( Didn't sleep at all the night before because of a sick child) By the end of it I couldnt even see straight.

    By reading your post, Keatron, exams seem like a hobby... Kinda like fishing on Saturdays? I applaud your quest for knowledge.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,208 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Trailerisf wrote:
    I can't imagine spending 6 hrs writing an exam... Your brain must have been fried afterwards.

    My 291 exam wasn't easy but I had to only concentrate for an hour ( Didn't sleep at all the night before because of a sick child) By the end of it I couldnt even see straight.

    By reading your post, Keatron, exams seem like a hobby... Kinda like fishing on Saturdays? I applaud your quest for knowledge.

    Thanks again Trailerisf. There are several factors contributing to my exam habits.

    1. I spend about 40% of my time teaching classes, and as I pointed out in an earlier post, I don't feel it's fair to be teaching a class for an exam that I myself have not sit and passed.

    2. I've always had a huge thirst for knowledge. I can remember when I was in junior high school and my older sister was in college. I read her entire college A & P book in a matter of weeks. Truth be told, there are so many things I'd like to learn that I'm certain one lifetime will not be enough.

    3. I've got 17 employees who look to me for continuing ed recommendations (which by the way we pay for) and career paths within the company. So my thirst for knowledge definintely helps in that regard. Truth be told, I don't even have all of my certifications listed in my profile, and even if I didn't get certifications for learning this stuff, I'd still be doing the same thing.

    4. And last but not least. Being able to come here and help other people who are going down the same path gives me as much joy as most other things I do for fun. Johan, has created an excellent canvas for all of us to "paint knowledge pictures" and my appreciation for that can't be overstated. So I feel it only fair to spend as much time here helping out as possible. Besides, the technotes and people here have been nothing but helpful since I've been a member.

    Keatron.
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 321 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Man!

    I'd love to work for you then Keatron. The expectations must be rough, but if you're willing to help your employees (and your company) like that, you must rock!

    Keep up the good work.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

    -- James Thurber
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,208 ■■■■■■□□□□
    skully93 wrote:
    Man!

    I'd love to work for you then Keatron. The expectations must be rough, but if you're willing to help your employees (and your company) like that, you must rock!

    Keep up the good work.

    Thanks skully. I appreciate your compliments. And yes you are right, expectations are way higher than average and people who I interview know that by the time they leave the interview. EVERYONE in my organization has to have a mandatory average of 3 days per month continuing ed. Whether it be an in house class I'm teaching or elsewhere (just had a couple of guys come back from the very expensive SANS Institute). This is the only way to do it if you plan to excel above the average.
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    I've got to echo Skully93.

    You're employees have a great boss. And not only a boss but a great mentor as well. That alone would make working for you a joy, but a company that supports ones quest to learn is invaluable.

    So KUDOS to you!!!
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • jim_staszjim_stasz Member Posts: 123
    keatron wrote:
    skully93 wrote:
    Man!

    I'd love to work for you then Keatron. The expectations must be rough, but if you're willing to help your employees (and your company) like that, you must rock!

    Keep up the good work.

    Thanks skully. I appreciate your compliments. And yes you are right, expectations are way higher than average and people who I interview know that by the time they leave the interview. EVERYONE in my organization has to have a mandatory average of 3 days per month continuing ed. Whether it be an in house class I'm teaching or elsewhere (just had a couple of guys come back from the very expensive SANS Institute). This is the only way to do it if you plan to excel above the average.

    Is there any chance of you looking to open an office in KC, MO/KS?
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,208 ■■■■■■□□□□
    We haven't done any market research or analysis in that area. We are currently moving to open offices in Atlanta, Houston, and Brazil. What's your feelings on the market there in KC?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Certification Invigilator Surf City, USAAdmin Posts: 11,544 Admin
    keatron wrote:
    We are currently moving to open offices in Atlanta, Houston, and Brazil.
    Let me know when you decide to open an office in Orange County, CA. I think there's some nice buildings available in beautiful Aliso Viejo near eEye Digital Security. Winter in SoCal sure beats Winter in Chicago. icon_wink.gif
  • TeKniquesTeKniques OSCE, OSCP, CISSP, CISA, SSCP, MCSE (03), Security+, Network+, A+, Project+ Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keatron,

    Is your company on the web? I don't know if you want to disclose that information here in a public forum, and I understand. I was just curious and wanted to look around.

    Thanks in advance. :D
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    JDMurray wrote:
    Let me know when you decide to open an office in Orange County, CA. I think there's some nice buildings available in beautiful Aliso Viejo near eEye Digital Security. Winter in SoCal sure beats Winter in Chicago. icon_wink.gif

    San Bernardino and Riverside counties in CA seem to be drying up for training providers, so any who'd move out this way would be welcome!
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,208 ■■■■■■□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    keatron wrote:
    We are currently moving to open offices in Atlanta, Houston, and Brazil.
    Let me know when you decide to open an office in Orange County, CA. I think there's some nice buildings available in beautiful Aliso Viejo near eEye Digital Security. Winter in SoCal sure beats Winter in Chicago. icon_wink.gif

    I think just about anywhere beats winter in Chicago. The tough part is the fact that I can leave home in November a 6:00 AM and it's 50 degrees, come out at lunch and it's 25!!! Go home in the afternoon and it's up to 45 again. This is due the effects of Lake Michigan (so I'm told).
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,208 ■■■■■■□□□□
    TeKniques wrote:
    Keatron,

    Is your company on the web? I don't know if you want to disclose that information here in a public forum, and I understand. I was just curious and wanted to look around.

    Thanks in advance. :D

    Yes we are on the web and I absolutely dont disclose that information on boards such as this. It's not conducive to what this website is about, and before you know it, if Johan opened the doors for that, everyone who owns a company would be making slated attempts to get free advertising, exposure, etc. Actually if you notice, people do try to do this already. I'm sure you've seen them before...

    "If you're struggling with exams go to my site at www.iamacheapskate.com and get my full MCSE suite for $9.99" icon_lol.gif

    Besides, don't worry, if you go into security and attend CISSP training etc or attend some ISC2 sponsored events you'll probably meet me anyway, or who knows, maybe you already have.... icon_wink.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    keatron wrote:
    "If you're struggling with exams go to my site at www.iamacheapskate.com and get my full MCSE suite for $9.99" icon_lol.gif
    icon_lol.gif

    I just wanted to add, that we didn't even discuss this when Keatron became a moderator here, and it has been his own decision since. Which I of course respect. Just as I do his training methods and approach towards getting the best out of employees. I hope other companies will use that as an example!
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,208 ■■■■■■□□□□
    We most certainly didn't, no need to. I'd hate nothing more than to see this forum ruined by turning into an out of control advertising frenzy. Sad to say, I've seen good number of good forums that started off like this, and before you know it, you'd have to sift through tons of advertising posts before getting to anything useful. Techexams, is lean, clean, efficient, extremely effective and the best of it's kind. I for one would like to see it stay that way.

    Keatron
  • TeKniquesTeKniques OSCE, OSCP, CISSP, CISA, SSCP, MCSE (03), Security+, Network+, A+, Project+ Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    keatron wrote:
    "If you're struggling with exams go to my site at www.iamacheapskate.com and get my full MCSE suite for $9.99" icon_lol.gif

    Yes, I hate those things very much so icon_lol.gif
    keatron wrote:
    Besides, don't worry, if you go into security and attend CISSP training etc or attend some ISC2 sponsored events you'll probably meet me anyway, or who knows, maybe you already have.... icon_wink.gif

    Yes, it is a goal of mine. However, it seems like I am so far away from that point icon_cry.gif

    Luckily, I'm still pretty young (26) so time is on my side at the moment. icon_wink.gif

    Thanks for the reply.
  • jim_staszjim_stasz Member Posts: 123
    keatron wrote:
    We haven't done any market research or analysis in that area. We are currently moving to open offices in Atlanta, Houston, and Brazil. What's your feelings on the market there in KC?

    World headquarters for Sprint, H&R Block, Hallmark Cards, and Cerner Corp. Very stong IT market.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Alot of Wheat too...
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
Sign In or Register to comment.