What certificate should I get?

philrozziphilrozzi Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi I'm really trying to get a job since my college degree isn't panning out and was hoping to possibly get into the IT field.

Since I was a kid and my dad bought me my first computer I've always enjoyed the hardware side of things. Putting together motherboards, installing graphics cards and hard drives, updating drivers, etc..

I've tried applying to a few IT jobs and also places like Best Buy Geek Squad but I was never considered. 3 people that I know (not very well) received some kind of certificates and basically got great jobs the next day at various companies.

Do you guys have any guidance on what certificate to pursue in order to get into this area? One IT support guy at my Hospital where I work said he got his certificate in desktop support and basically landed that job immediately and it's the only one he applied for. Although it seems as though he deals more with software side of things rather than hardware.

Comments

• kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    First off, what is your degree in? Sounds like you may have an interest in getting into system or network administration. I would first start with a help desk spot, and figure out a path from there. You can always look into CompTIA A+, Net+, and Sec+ for starters, and then ease into MCSA and MCSE. The CompTIA certs are easy enough to do on your own. Depending on your level of experience, you may be able to get through MCSA/MCSE track with no issues. Many of us here have done the BestBuy/Geek Squad route, and I would suggest look at that as a possibility.

You really have to figure out what interests you first, and remember it may take you a while to truly answer that question.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Keep your expectations in check. Getting any cert and getting a job the next day is quite unrealistic.

What area of IT are you looking to get into? It's quite the broad term. I'd suggest starting with the A+ though as it sounds like you're starting from scratch.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agree with other posts.

I'd recommend A+ and then probably a Microsoft MCSA. I'd also caution that you can do both certs and a degree simultaneously and don't necessarily need to give up on the degree. Another option to consider is an online degree such as through WGU which may net you some certs also.

There is no magic pill...It requires skills, dedication, education, who you know, etc.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    It just not a certification that gets you in the door. Experience does.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • philrozziphilrozzi Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I was hoping to first get the CCNA certificate and start out in desktop support. From what the IT guy was telling me it seems like a good place to start since he basically goes around to departments and helps people logging in and resetting passwords, those types of things.

My end goal would be to get into security since it seems as with all the hacking going on there will always be a need for that. With that said I would like to ease into it because I am married with a kid, I already spent years going to college getting a bachelor's to do human resources.

By getting a certificate I would like to possibly get a job quicker and one that may actually pay for me to go back to school for something that takes longer like an associates degree in cyber/network security, but then I'd be already earning money so I can go part time at my own leisure.
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    If you're starting from scratch, attaining an A+ is a good start. Then look at tech positions with electronic retails stores (BB Geek Squad, Altex, Office Depot) or a call-center with a major provider.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
    I forgot to mention, systems admin is another path that interests me alot. But until I get into an entry level position and really get to know in detail what each position does, I will never know.

I've been looking at the certificates/degrees at my community college and they do have network admin but I don't think I remember seeing systems admin. Also I do think the admin programs are 2 year programs and not the shorter certificate programs.
    A CCNA is a networking certification. You don't need a CCNA to work helpdesk (which is what that IT guy does in your description). If you do get a CCNA, it would help you get a junior networking position. From here, you can work for other certs.

I would try for the A+ first. That will tell you if IT is something you're interested in

Follow my OSCP Thread!
    Moldy... Yes, the A+ I believe is also part of the certificate program at the school. Here is what classes are listed:

ITEC1610 - IT Essentials (A+)
    ITEC1620 - Wireshark 101
    ITEC1635 - Cisco CCENT
    ITEC1660 - Cisco CCNA - Routing and Switching
    philrozzi wrote: »
    Moldy... Yes, the A+ I believe is also part of the certificate program at the school. Here is what classes are listed:

ITEC1610 - IT Essentials (A+)
    ITEC1620 - Wireshark 101
    ITEC1635 - Cisco CCENT
    ITEC1660 - Cisco CCNA - Routing and Switching

Although those courses will cover the topics, they do not give you the cert upon completion. You still have to sit for a CompTIA proctored exam. It will probably help you prepare for it.
    The A+ is two exams.
    I usually recommend the A+ first because that is pretty much what you're going to be doing in your early years of IT. Just listening to people complain and you either provide them a placebo solution (update adobe reader) or perform some form of wizardry.

Follow my OSCP Thread!
    OK thanks. Would you recommend doing the A+ on my own or would it be better to take classes?
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A+ is still a big deal in the HR world, I would most certainly consider it. A+ and S+ are really the only two CompTIA's worth anything and some would disagree about S +.
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That program is networking focused. If you're interested in help desk and doing duties like resetting passwords then you'd be better off doing A+ and then an MCSA I think. This could lead you to a sys admin position eventually.

If you want to do networking then that program is a fine choice also.

I'd recommend self-studying for the A+ and passing both exams, getting a job, then figuring out where your passion is and just go from there.

Again, it sounds like given your situation and desire to get a cert to get in the door and then eventually a degree I think you should consider WGU which allows you to earn certs and progress towards a degree also. (something to consider)
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
    philrozzi wrote: »
    OK thanks. Would you recommend doing the A+ on my own or would it be better to take classes?
    If you are not wanting to go to school rn, I would just study it on your own. Otherwise, go to class with the purpose of passing the exam. That way youre taking the class more serious.

Follow my OSCP Thread!
    Thanks alot! You guys have been very helpful. I will be going to see an advisor tomorrow to ask some follow up questions and see if I can just do the A+ course first and leave the other classes for a later date.

I don't even want to try tackling an online course with a 2 year old pulling at my leg for hours. School will be like my time off, lol.
    I was looking over some practice questions for A+ on Google and they were asking things like why would you need to boot from USB, what is a IEEE 1394 bus called, what is the file extension for divers?

So basically is the A+ test mostly common sense questions to make sure you just know the technical aspects behind using a PC? Or are there allot of harder questions on programming or DOS commands that I didn't see? Just curious.
    You will find a pool of questions on the internet regarding the A+. I took the A+ back in like 2010, so it's been awhile. If I recall it was mainly hardware and customer support questions. I don't think you will get any programming questions. Best thing to do is buy a study guide and learn the material.

You may get questions regarding where certain files or config files are located in a certain OS. And what processor fits in what socket.

Follow my OSCP Thread!