Options

school / career question

shagshag Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello all. i have been reading on this site about the jobs and the corresponding degree and certs, and i am hoping some of you can give me some guidance here. i have worked on computers as just computer repair for almost 7 years now. i am back in school, but i do not want to just do computer repair forever. i MIGHT want to own my own repair business one day, but the thing i really would like to do is just focus on a network somewhere at a company or hospital. maybe become an mis director or cio or something, my only problem is deciding whether to major in Information Technology or MIS. i do not have any certs yet but an working on a+ at the moment, not sure where i am going from there. any help and guidance is muchly appreciated - thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    Computer repair and director/CIO are two different worlds entirely and require two different skill sets.

If you wish to own a repair business, your A+ would really be the only vendor neutral cert you might need. If you wish to specialize in a specific brand or product, you could always peruse certification for that as well. An A.A.S in microcomputers from your local college would complement your business as well.

The path to director/CIO is quite different. This path requires many, many years of experience, like 15-20 for director alone. Those positions usually require a CS, CIS, BSIT, or MIS undergrad degree. CIO typically requires a Masters in IS, IT, MIS, and sometimes BA. Choosing this path would be aligned with your comment of administering a network, but as mentioned before, you need many years of experience to make it to this level. Check out the syllabus for the majors you're interested in and whichever classes mirror with your goals should help you decide.
  • Options
    the owning my own business part is probably going to be way later in the future, more of like a side job or hobby - right now i am concentrating on getting through school and figuring out where to go. i realize that is will take alot of experience to get where i ultimately want to be, as with most things you cant just jump ahead of the line - i am currently in school in the MIS curricullum. if i graduate with my bachelors, what kind of jobs could i expect to look for right out of school? and also, should i go straight to the masters program or work and then go back - i have heard that it is better to work to get experience, plus you can sometimes find a company that will pay for your masters if you sign to stay with them when you are done - something along those lines anyway.
    oh - on other thing - what kind of jobs could i have while i am in school that would be closely related to MIS - i have already about 7 years exp in basic computer repair and setting up small networks and such, but i would like to work somewhere that is closely related to my major while maybe at the same time be gaining some experience in the field.
  • Options
    Well the good news is that you already have some experience within computer repair, and you have shown responsibility with managing a side business right?

So if I were you, I would look at possibly seeking a middle management type position at a computer store. You could be responsible for the bench techs and quality control, handling aspects of management on a small scale is a great way to start. Any assistant management or middle management position that incorporates IT in some way would be great during school. Also, any opportunities that you may come across where you can be part of project planning or management would definitely be of value to you. Keep in mind this isn’t the type of job you would seek after graduation, as you will have long surpassed that level by that time. However, it’s important to show that you have experience at that level to prove that you understand how your decisions could affect those levels.

As the saying goes, “Never forget where you came from.”
  • Options
    jaeusmjaeusm Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    if i graduate with my bachelors, what kind of jobs could i expect to look for right out of school?

You can look for any kind of job. I would recommend looking for jobs that you are interested in. Don't over-analyze.
  • Options
    do you think it would be a good idea to get a minor in Information Technology along with a bachelor's in MIS, or just stick to the MIS -- I am going to take a few IT classes anyway - just bc i want to, just didnt know if I should go for a minor in it since it isnt but 18 additional hours.
  • Options
    If you have the additional time and financial resources, then a minor is always a good idea. Try to pick a minor that complements MIS. Anything business management would be a good idea. Perhaps marketing, accounting, BA, communications, etc. this is a strategy used by those who wish to be managers, directors or CIO's. Not sure of the success rate on this approach.

The alterative is what you've suggested such as IT, Networking, Programming, Web, etc.

Good luck with your search.
  • Options
    i had actually thought about minoring in BA, but - i dont know how most schools are, but at the school where i am if you are majoring in a field within the school of business (which MIS is) you cannot minor in another field within the school of business - you can only minor in non-business school related fields.......so, i just figured IT - ha
  • Options
    zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    shag wrote:
    ...right now i am concentrating on getting through school and figuring out where to go. i realize that is will take alot of experience to get where i ultimately want to be, as with most things you cant just jump ahead of the line - i am currently in school in the MIS curricullum. .... what kind of jobs could i have while i am in school that would be closely related to MIS - i have already about 7 years exp in basic computer repair and setting up small networks and such, but i would like to work somewhere that is closely related to my major while maybe at the same time be gaining some experience in the field.

It's good that you eager to "jump on the horse and ride it", but you must focus on what's in front of you first. Your first priority is to get that college degree. If you have time, try to get a part-time job on the campus in the IT department or somewhere else outside. You could also offer volunteer to various volunteer groups in your neighbor to get some experience. These experiences will pay off when you are looking for a job after graduation. Based on some of the survey I have read recently, there is a demand on graduates with a major in computer science/information system plus a minor in business management. It's seems that the industry is looking for all rounded players instead of jthe ones with just the hardcore skills.
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • Options
    i have a job now as a pc tech, which i am hoping will pay off as experience, since all together this is about my 7th year to be working on computers! as far as the minoring in business mgmt - MIS is the only program you can minor in if you are majoring in the college of business - therefore if you are majoring in any program within the college of business, you cannot minor in anything else in the collge of business except MIS, but i am majoring in MIS so if i minor in anything, it will have to be outside the collge of business
    i know that sounds kind of confusing, but its really not, you just have to think about it!! ha