How to interview for a job that I am under qualified for?

SkylinksSkylinks Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have an interview setup for next week with a managed service provider, and I am concerned about my chances of getting the job because of my lack of experience with certain technologies (such as databases, SharePoint, IIS, etc). I've interviewed for jobs at MSPs before and they've all said that I don't have enough experience. Then I am thinking to myself, why are you even interviewing me if I don't have enough experience?

So how do I tell them that I've never had the opportunity to use technologies such as databases, SharePoint, IIS without hurting my chances of getting the job? I want to be honest, but I still want the job.

Even if I setup those technologies at home, then they ask me which of your previous jobs did you use those technologies? So I tell them that I've set them up at home, then they get a nasty look on their face (no joke), and this has happened to me several times. They want professional experience, but how do I get the professional experience if no one will ever give me a chance?

Also getting certifications hasn't helped me either. I got a few certifications in hopes of advancing my career, but sadly I kept getting asked which of your previous jobs did you use those certifications.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You just have to really wow them on the stuff you do know to convince them you have the aptitude to learn. You just have to sell yourself!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Go through techs your familiar to really good with and bone up a bit on those. This will help your confidence for the next step. Don't have much of a theoretical understanding of what you MIGHT be working with? Say databases are what you feel most weak. You tube has thousands of entry to high level videos on this and every other self-peddling influencing wanna be out there could possibly want. Start there. Truth is what is it that makes you bring up databases that isn't just data? Are they looking to hire you for a DBA position? Probably not. Keep the wish list to a minimum. Much the same for topics like SharePoint and all the rest. Get a good understanding of what it is those technologies are doing at this site; how they relate to this position in general and how your likely to interact with those said technologies in the first place.

Why? But of course there is a why to this. First you want to be at ease during the interview process. Doing your homework goes along way and right now your feeling a bit overwhelmed. The board here will assume this is a support position not a specialize in 10 different skill sets like a CCIE/DB2 DBA with a robust understanding of FEIC regulations so don't make it into something its not. Second, good preparation provides you with the ammudnition you need to ask really good questions like: How does this connect this technology with this box? What protocol or what kinds of problems do clients generally face so I can learn and advance my skill set to most benefit my time here. More than anything else hiring managers hire not only for existing ability but for future ability to learn. That's probably the biggest key right there. How fast can you learn?

Good luck!

- b/eads
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You just have to really wow them on the stuff you do know to convince them you have the aptitude to learn. You just have to sell yourself!
    Nailed it.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Skylinks wrote: »
    So how do I tell them that I've never had the opportunity to use technologies such as databases, SharePoint, IIS without hurting my chances of getting the job? I want to be honest, but I still want the job.

Even if I setup those technologies at home, then they ask me which of your previous jobs did you use those technologies? So I tell them that I've set them up at home, then they get a nasty look on their face (no joke), and this has happened to me several times. They want professional experience, but how do I get the professional experience if no one will ever give me a chance?
    You need to be doing more than just installing. After installing, are you using it to host a website on the internet? What did you learn from hosting sites on the internet? With cloud computing, you can host a website on AWS or Azure for very small fee. Besides IIS, have you used Apache and Nginx before? What are the unique features among them? Are you able to apply your knowledge to your current work environment? e.g., setup a sharepoint portal for document sharing within your department?

Is this a managed security service provider? How is the default IIS installation vulnerable to attacks? How will you harden IIS installation? How do you check the server for attacks?

When they say they want experience, they want someone who is able to use his knowledge to solve problems and get things done. You need to show them that you have the aptitude to learn, to apply and to contribute.
  • cowillcowill Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nailed it.

Pretty Much.......

Believe it or not, you have an advantage when it comes to going for jobs you are under qualified for. You just gotta show that you are willing to learn...