New online Cyber Sec degree

TNboundTNbound Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
University of Charleston WV just took their Cyber Security program online. Ill be able to add more input on class room delivery starting in March.

here is the curriculum

University of Charleston

Comments

• mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bachelor's degree, that is.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    All this talk about 'cyber' has be thinking about the old chat room days. It makes me feel like I'm gonna get f'ed.

Looks like a good program. Not really sure that the CISSP would be considered an 'elective', though, even at 6 hours. If anything, the whole program should be preparing you for the certification, not just a single class. I know WGU has their Masters Degree set to map with the CISSP.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A combination of foundational courses (28 hours), Cyber prerequisite courses (9 hours), Cyber required courses (9 hours), Cyber elective courses (15-18 hours), minor selection (18 hours), and general electives worth 38 hours round out the total Bachelors of Science in Cyber Security degree.

I'm a little confused by the whole hour thing, do they mean the required cyber courses is only 9 hours of classroom time, or a 3 hr course something like a college credit hour, where three credit hours is equal to one classroom hour per week for 16 weeks? Or something else entirely? For example the "CYBR 330Certified Incident Handler (3Hrs)", do they mean the course is three hours long total? Incident handler training from SANS is 40 hours lecture and labs, what can you seriously think you can learn in three hours?

Cyber Security is the "HOT" think right now, and as in every hot thing, plenty of Carpet Baggers spring up to take your money and give you worthless training. I can't help wonder how useful some of this training will be when students enter the job market.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The credit hour refers to "contact hours" per week as per Wikipedia, you still need to study at your own pace and pass the exam.

How useful the training is will depend on how well the students learn to apply them. At least these students can say they have some exposure to infosec, and some may be lucky enough to do internship (if any) or related part-time jobs during their studies. When they apply for infosec jobs, I hope the interviewer take the effort to evaluate these grads on their understanding and aptitude, and not blindly hire them merely based on the degree. I have interviewed graduates with cyber security degrees, and some of them confessed they have forgotten everything they have learned; they have no interest in infosec news outside of their studies and they took the degree because infosec is hot. Did managed to interview someone who spent 3 months after his graduation to do OSCP full time and pass it; he will go far in the field.
  • BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Correct. Credit hours refers to roughly how much class time you will have per week. When I was in school, typically 3 cr is standard and this means you will meet as a class twice a week for about 2,5 hours total or if I took a evening class it would be one night for about 2.5-2.75 each.

So for the CISSP Elective, you would be meeting around 5 or so hours each week for the whole semester. Plus your self study / homework on the side.

I went to school near this one at Marshall University in Huntington WV. They also have a School of Pharmacy which should show that they are a legit BM school.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • TNboundTNbound Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They are starting a graduate program as well, not sure if its up and running yet.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Cyber Security is the "HOT" think right now, and as in every hot thing, plenty of Carpet Baggers spring up to take your money and give you worthless training. I can't help wonder how useful some of this training will be when students enter the job market.

This is what worries me these days. I remember the "Get your CCNA & MCSE and make $100K+ right away!" claims. It's a lot of marketing fluff. Do your research, see if the college is legit/accredited/taken seriously by employers, etc..
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Definitely make sure the college is regionally accredited.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • TNboundTNbound Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This one is regional and non profit, not a AMU or Phoenix here.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Can I add another one to the list. Plus you can get a GRE waiver.icon_cheers.gif

Online Cyber Security Masters Degree | University of Delaware
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I remembered the "earn 6 figure salary with a" CCNA/MCSE/PMP/CISSP claims. Now we have cyber security degrees. Why not get ahead and go for Masters? :)

There are about 80 Masters in cyber security programs listed at Directory of Cybersecurity Masters Degree Programs at U.S. UniversitiesCybersecurity Ventures
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    All those minor electives at the bottom greatly resemble a business admin degree (which is a good core IMHO). To me, this looks that kind of degree and then a course covering:
    1)A+
    2)Network+
    3)Security+
    4)CEH
    5)GCIH
    6)GCIA
    7)CISSP

Not sure the CISSP is appropriate for an undergrad given that cert requires work experience and the kind of work experience asking for a CISSP probably also requires a bachelor's degree and then we end up dividing by zero recursively.

Not sure of your background experience, but if I were an inexperienced freshman taking UC's Intro to Computers (for A+) in the first semester, taking SANS courses/CISSP in the senior year would be too large of a stretch without some years of work experience.

Also interesting is the "Cyber Program Director's" signature: Matthew D. Gonzalez, PhD, CEH, CHFI, PMP
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    Not sure the CISSP is appropriate for an undergrad given that cert requires work experience and the kind of work experience asking for a CISSP probably also requires a bachelor's degree and then we end up dividing by zero recursively.

This is a good point, the college is not handing out CISSP's, because even after passing the exam, students do not possess the required experience requirement. They could be an Associate of (ISC)², but not holders of the CISSP certification. False advertising, someone should report them to (ISC)², they are promising to hand out certifications they can't possibility provide.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.