Options

Database Administrator, Certificates and Education?

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
I'm currently studying for a bachelor's of science in Computer Information Systems. I want to go the Database Administrator route. What certificates along with my degree will set me up for a career in DBA?

Also, what is the job outlook of Database Administration?

Comments

• Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sylice wrote: »
    I'm currently studying for a bachelor's of science in Computer Information Systems. I want to go the Database Administrator route. What certificates along with my degree will set me up for a career in DBA?

Also, what is the job outlook of Database Administration?

You won't be doing just DBA work. You'll more than likely working on Data Science and Machine Learning. At least that's what our people do. I don't think there is any certification that can be had to quantify that sort of expertise.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Learn math, statistics and logic, did i mention math? Oh yeah algorithms too.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You are getting the CIS degree, part one is down, get an internship.

From my experience you get into database work one of two ways. One you go to school for computer science or something like that and get an internship. The other way is aptitude, through work. You are given database related task you hit home runs with those and you begin to get more and more database related task. Eventually you gain enough knowledge to apply for a database centric role and then you are in. You can come from the business side or technical it happens both ways in regards to the 2nd method.

I've never personally met a DBA or Database Programmer with a cert(s) except myself.
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    If you learn basic SQL queries and work your way up to more advanced stuff such as normalization and stored procedures then that would be useful. Learning R or Python for statistical computing and data visualization would also be important for data science and machine learning if you end up getting that type of work.