Options

What is expected of a newly certified A+ tech, when seeking employment?

RoadeemRoadeem Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I had a govt job and it was super restrictive. It basically boiled down to help desk, and getting called when someone's projector didn't work or somebody rolled their chair over an ethernet cable one too many times. If something was broken, I had sit there on the line and tell a guy what was wrong for him to fix it: I wasn't allowed to open the machine.

I've built plenty of computers, and have crimped a heck of a lot of network cables, and during my A+ studying have been using VMware Player to mess with different Operating Systems (but the things I've studied might be enough to pass the test, but that doesn't mean I'd feel comfortable getting unleashed on an enterprise network). What is generally expected of a newly A+ certified tech?

And if you have some time, would you be so kind as to give me so some guidance as how to look for a job, after I pass A+ in a few days?

Comments

• Options
    cptpizzacptpizza Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IT varies by company. Also, A+ is very often an entry-level certification. Its rare that a company will let someone with A+ and minimal networking experience jump right into networking or system administration without some type of prior work experience to show they know it. Honestly, can you blame them? Some of the equipment managed by IT infrastructure teams cost thousands, hundreds of thousands, or even millions of dollars. Also, downtime for some companies can cost millions, so its rare that companies will let you start out in a job and learn your way into it.

Often, that first job is a help desk or computer technician role, whose primary job is to fix the desktops or solve issues of end users. Depending on the size of the organization, it may include imaging or application support that may require or allow you to learn some basic networking skills. It is typically here that I have seen people grow into more senior roles.

I don't mean to discourage. We all have to start somewhere, and many of us have had to or will pay our dues before stepping up into the more interesting roles that typically include higher salary. When you do find a job, excel at it. My company very often tries to get some of the best junior guys/gals involved in projects or server builds to get their feet wet and provide learning opportunities. If the business is large enough, there are likely some folks with many years of experience that are great source of information to grow.

A good starting point might be look for an entry level role at a consulting firm or MSP. Often these jobs are a lot of work and hours, but the learning curve is very steep. The hours aren't for everyone so turnover can be high, which provides ample opportunity for growth. Also, because they are focused on IT services, its not uncommon for them to have experienced individuals on staff you can learn from. Many also will train and/or reimburse you for more advanced certifications.

LinkedIn or any of the Major Job sites are good sources of job postings. Working with a recruiter may also help match you with a job that is a good fit with your skills and experience. Good luck with your search, and good luck on the exam!