Options

How to Get Experience In IT Security

RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just saw this in my inbox: How To Get Experience IT Security for those trying to get into security. Figured someone here could benefit from this.

Comments

• Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you for sending this out!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This would be great to watch but sometimes I wonder if they even think about their audience when they schedule these things. How the hell is anybody who is working at 10:00am PT on a Tuesday supposed to watch this, this falls between the most common working hours. I hope they throw this webinar on youtube so the rest of us can actually watch it.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hammer80 wrote: »
    This would be great to watch but sometimes I wonder if they even think about their audience when they schedule these things. How the hell is anybody who is working at 10:00am PT on a Tuesday supposed to watch this, this falls between the most common working hours. I hope they throw this webinar on youtube so the rest of us can actually watch it.
    Most work related webinars seem to fall during work hours for me. I just schedule it and watch it at work. I have more trouble watching things like this after work, hah. Obviously not everyone's workplace is the same, your mileage may vary, etc.
  • Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    I love Keith Barker. I have a CBT subscription so I wonder if I have to sign up for this.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hammer80 wrote: »

I don't know why, but I feel like almost every webinar I watch is at this time. I assume they want try and hit most people in the US while they are during their lunch and that fits the most people's lunch hour? (10am PT being the earliest of course) I hate it at this time myself, but just because I don't want to watch it during my lunch. I live in central time zone. The other webinars I usually try and watch are at this exact same time... They have a recording people can watch though. So not a huge deal. Guessing CBTnuggets might have a recording of it after as well.

Here is the other webinars I try to watch, if anyone is curious:
    https://www.beyondtrust.com/resources/education/webinars/
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    10am Pacific time is about as close as it gets to being perfect. That time is equal to:

1pm Eastern: Hey boss, taking a late lunch today
    Noon Central: Regular lunch hour
    11am Mountain: Hey boss,taking an early lunch today

In addition:

6pm in the UK
    7pm in Central Europe
    8pm in Eastern Europe

Really, the only people it's not convenient for are those on the U.S. west coast (and those who have very strict lunch hour scheduling).
  • Options
    cbtnuggetscbtnuggets Banned Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for your interest in the "How to Get Experience In IT Security" webinar tomorrow! If you register for the webinar, you will receive an email with the recording after the webinar is complete. It will also be available on blog.cbtnuggets.com tomorrow afternoon.
  • Options
    cbtnuggets wrote: »
    Thank you all for your interest in the "How to Get Experience In IT Security" webinar tomorrow! If you register for the webinar, you will receive an email with the recording after the webinar is complete. It will also be available on blog.cbtnuggets.com tomorrow afternoon.

It's good to see you post here!
  • Options
    No one attended this??
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you registered for it and missed they sent you a link to watch it at your own leisure. I watched it and it sucks, all it talks about is how to get interested in security and which certs to get. Ok the fact that i am already watching the damn video means I am interested in security, now what I need and was hoping this video would provide is how the hell do I get security experience that I can actually put on resume and use during interviews for a job. We all know that experience is king, but good luck if you are trying to get your first security job with no prior experience, more and more employers are not willing to teach anybody anything they just want somebody with experience right from the start so how do i get that smart guy. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Current experience plus home-lab? This isn't 20 years ago where in order to get firewall experience, you had to buy a Pix. Nowadays, you can get all sorts of appliances to add into a virtual environment, which makes them perfect for learning at home. Want to learn Splunk? There's an appliance and a free trial. Want to learn ASAs? Same.

These days, you can simulate both sides of the WAN, inject latency, use traffic generators to create different types of traffic and monitor and filter. You can even build out virtual storage in addition to the ESXi. All on a home desktop (just not an i3 with 8 GB RAM).
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I can't stress enough the value that labbing brings to the table, especially if you lack formal info sec experience. In my last round hiring for an entry level security analyst I think only one guy was able to speak to stuff he had labbed. Many claimed to have a lab but when we pressed for details virtually everyone just said "oh, I run Kali on Virtualbox". 99% could not talk about a single tool other than NMAP. If you can tell me how you set up your lab and what you did with it, you will come out looking real good.
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I can't stress enough the value that labbing brings to the table, especially if you lack formal info sec experience. In my last round hiring for an entry level security analyst I think only one guy was able to speak to stuff he had labbed. Many claimed to have a lab but when we pressed for details virtually everyone just said "oh, I run Kali on Virtualbox". 99% could not talk about a single tool other than NMAP. If you can tell me how you set up your lab and what you did with it, you will come out looking real good.
    Yeah, if I was looking for a junior analyst and they said they have a firewall/router that they (somewhat) configured and had syslogs going to Splunk and could tell me a couple of pieces of security software they run, I'd probably be running to HR, high-fiving everyone on the way, telling them to hire the guy. None of that is overly complicated or costly.
  • Options
    ITBotITBot Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm taking notes on what to setup at home now, thanks @cyberguypr and @markulous!
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    markulous wrote: »
    Yeah, if I was looking for a junior analyst and they said they have a firewall/router that they (somewhat) configured and had syslogs going to Splunk and could tell me a couple of pieces of security software they run, I'd probably be running to HR, high-fiving everyone on the way, telling them to hire the guy. None of that is overly complicated or costly.
    Hah, true!
  • Options
    OfftopicOfftopic Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keith is a very smart guy who has contributed a lot to InfoSec. This presentation, however, was a dud. It was meant for people who are thinking of moving into this field and not for those who already are studying and actively looking for infosec jobs.