Options

CCNA without experience?

wanosdwanosd Inactive Imported Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I don't have formal experience in the networking field. The only thing even close to IT, professionally, that I've done is tech support a few years ago. Having said that, I am a technical guy. I build my own systems, have a home network, and during my freshman year in high school (in 1993), my tip on the DOSKEY command appeared in the July issue of PC World magazine.

I have recently attained a bacheolor's degree in IT and passed Network+ a year ago. I'm going to get my A+ first, which I think I can attain in 2-3 weeks time, then MCSE & CCNA. While taking the practice test for the A+, I got a 45%, without studying. Why am I babbling? Just giving you my background.

Why is it so hard to find a job in the IT field then? lol

Anyways, I just took the CCNA practice test on this site, without studying and just recalling my Network+ studies/process of elimination, and I was able to get a 45%. What are the chances of me passing the real CCNA test given my experience (or lack thereof) and practice test results? Of course, I will be studying. But the other question is, how long do you think it might take for me to study for it (since I'm studying for my MCSE now).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i would say take N+ first, then look at CCNA.. during that study time between look for a entry level network gig. "eyes n' ears" ( these are really basic but will get you some experience) most of these are very short contract deals.

get some gear from ebay about $300 should do it and get a cisco press book
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    wanosdwanosd Inactive Imported Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    keenon wrote:
    i would say take N+ first, then look at CCNA..

I already have N+.
    keenon wrote:
    get some gear from ebay about $300 should do it and get a cisco press book

Good advice
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is it even possible to get experience for the CCNA without already having worked in the field for several years? Someone right out of college couldn't expect to get a job working with routers and switches unless their a network administrator or something.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yes i did, i had a little exposure but understood enough to get the job done. someone took a chance on me as they do with everyone.

years l;ater and loads more experience i got a CCNA now working on CCNP but i don't plan on taking years to do so icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    mwillmwill Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi wanosd,

I understand your question completely, I hope.

When I took my CCNA, I had this much experience prior. 0. Yup that’s right, how long did it take me to pass? -5 week of studying. That’s it. Little more than a month and I passed my CCNA first try with a 994/1000.

How? I studied my ass off. At least 5-7 days a week I studied for 4-8hrs a day. At work and at home and on weekends. No social life really, during this time.

So another answer to your question would be. And you'll hear this thousands of times and its true. It depends on the person, and how well you learn the material as you go along. I had a hard time with my WAN technologies. So i spent two weeks on this, and two weeks on subnetting, the rest of the material was easy to pick up. So if I'd picked up the other material fast, I would of been done in maybe 3 weeks in stead of 5, by taking a week off from the subnetting and WAN tech.

See I hope this helps some!
    Marcus Williamson