Options

When did you move out of Desktop Support/Help Desk?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I stayed at the Helpdesk for 3 years only because i was finishing up my degree, the company was growing and I had good chance of getting promoted. After completing my degree, i was promoted to a higher level job in security and stayed with the company for another 2 years prior to moving to something else. I think in those first 5 years i learned the most without studying or having any certifications besides A+ and my degree.
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I suppose I've never really gotten away from HelpDesk in one form or the other. In my area companies are used to having 1 or 2 person IT shops who handle everything. In some ways it's nice because all major projects require your involvement but then the very next day you're helping someone with an Outlook issue. When I was working for an MSP I would go out and design a wireless network for a client and while I was there, assist the office manager with her QuickBooks Error :) I know a lot of folks consider HelpDesk as "paying your dues" but I've never seen it that way. It gives me an opportunity to talk to my end users and show them that I'm a pretty nice guy. You gather a lot of passive intel that way also icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    gumpwaregumpware Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You'll always be the HelpDesk to your boss and anyone above your boss. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    sagaboysagaboy Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in that same boat! Been doing "helpdesk going on 4 years now! Been doing multiple roles while still helping end users out. Like what gumpware said! I will always be helpdesk to my boss and anyone above my boss! I'm stuck until I can finish my degree and certs.
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    51 weeks of Desktop Support before moving into Security
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was helpdesk for, uhm, 14 years before I got serious about my career. Basically from 20 until 34. At 34 I got sick of marginal raises and doing the same old thing day in and day out so I pushed myself, learned a ton, certified plenty, and moved up the chain rather quick once I left the comfort zone.

A lot of movement really depends on how much you enjoy your personal comfort zone. Once you get out of it, the world is seriously at your disposla if you work for it.

Granted, technically I am still 'helpdesk' but I manage the entire support organization. haha

-scott
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    4 months.

Kept applying around. Found a company in need enough.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP