Options

IT jobs - Do you sit too much?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A standing desk helps out with the sitting problem - especially if it is one of the ones that is adjustable so that you can stand when you can and sit when you must. Outside of the standing desk you can always stand and stretch occasionally, maybe even do a few squats here and there. Nothing to get you sweating but enough to get some blood flowing.

I frequently stand and stretch. In addition to the standing I try to make an effort to walk around for a minute or two once an hour. I usually take this time to go refill my water bottle or get coffee. This has made a significant difference for me vs sitting all the time in terms of back trouble and leg swelling.

I've had a DVT before and because of that I focus on not sitting still for too long. For one my leg will swell if I do and I always worry about getting another one. My Apple Watch also pings me once an hour to stand up as part of my "stand goal" - which helps keep me on point.
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I try to hit the gym, but sometimes I'm, mentally wiped out from work.

Those are the days I most enjoy getting on the bike and bench... the physical not mental refreshes the whole body.

@Chinook, completely agree, we have a recumbent bike, a bench, and about 210 pounds of free weights... all my son and I need to get what we need ( he also gets 1-2 days track practice and 3 days of football winter program a week :D )

And you can eat healthy without sacrificing taste...

This is what we had tonight... Italian White Ale chicken and apple cashew salad...

Chicken is easy... take boneless breasts and butterfly them (cut lengthwise) put in a gallon freezer bag of Kraft Italian dressing (oil based original) and put in fridge for 24 hours, then when put on the grill, dash them with McCorrmick's grill mates Belgian White Ale seasoning, and again when you flip them... my 16 year old son says its the best chicken ever :) so much better than fast food
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    @Jcundiff

I found the really challenging part was finding a way to eat healthy if traveling or when out driving. AirBnB has been great for that because I can find apartments with kitchens & cook. It beats eating another BLT with fries from the hotel pub. When I'm on the road I just read menu's to see what was OK to eat. So a grilled chicken sandwich with a potato at Wendy's worked. It's not the best choice but it's better than a burger and fries.

I mostly work at home so I'm fortunate I can cook everything. I live in the mountains in Western Canada (Revelstoke, BC) so the trips to clients (or airports) are long. And when on the go it's tough to find time to stop to eat. I find now I don't really like eating junk food as it tastes terrible & I've even switched to turkey bacon (I know, I know, revoke my man card).

I do the once a week "be bad" thing where I pig out and eat and drink to my hearts content .... after I work out.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think I eat too much.
  • Options
    nashirnashir Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Very good discussion. Till now I have moved more than 5 sit that are different IT company. In each company, I can't sit 1 hours contentiously.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I try to walk a lap around the building 2-3 times per day in nice weather, or just down and back up the stairs when it's not. It's not much, but breaking up long sitting periods is good for you.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is why I have a 5 AM appointment in the gym with myself. I work out 6 days a week for 20 to 30 minutes. Usually, it is running for 15 to 20 and then weights for 5 or 10 minutes. I was really sick for about a yr. and couldn't make it to the gym. I put on like 60 lbs in a yr. Now in a month I have dropped 17lbs all I do is count calories in and out. Most people would look at my diet and go no way he is losing weight. You can eat doughnuts and lose weight if you exercise and just eat one doughnut :). So the moral of the story keep yourself exercising in IT or get fat.