Options

Improved job titles on the resume? The power of words.

CardboardCardboard Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been working on a resume rewrite for this year. Most of my jobs have been desktop support over the last 4-5 years. Hardware support, not telephone help desk. I've used "Tier 3 Desktop Support" for a few years on various contract jobs, but I usually have to explain to interviewers what that is.

I'm definitely senior level in desktop support. In the IT world, that's more or less equal to being the Head Janitor, but it is what it is. I do a lot of imaging PCs, end user support, setting up local and network printers, moving people from cubicle to cubicle, backing up and saving their files, etc.

I think a better job title might help, at least to show some progression. Something like "Senior Desktop Support Tech", or "Senior IT Analyst" or something similar.

Anyone got any good job title ideas? I've got to communicate to these damn job interviewers that they should be taking me more seriously and letting me into jobs of my skill level.

This whole JOB thing is annoying.

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Senior Desktop Support Engineer

I would avoid "analyst" and "technician".
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should talk to your employer about a title change if you aren't happy with it. I wouldn't just make a new one up.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I've never been a fan of changing titles on my resume because I feel the current one is an inadequate representation of my duties. If you have a solid resume that properly present duties and responsibilities, the job title is secondary. Some people like to gamble and use titles others than what the previous employer assigned. As a hiring manager, if you use the term "engineer" you better come up with a solid explanation of stuff that you engineered or some other example of higher level work. Otherwise my BS sensor will go off and hurt your chances.

Am I correct assuming you are working with non-IT recruiters? If they can't figure out your title this means that a)your duties are unclear and/or b)they don't know how to use Google.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You are what you are. Stick with your title, you don't want to get caught up in a web of lies.

Just working hard and you'll get your break, just takes time sometimes.....
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not sure that I entirely agree - since OP was a contractor without a title - by stating the role that you play on the resume is appropriate. Something like "Independent Contractor - Senior Desktop Support Engineer" would not be inappropriate.

Although point is well taken - employers will do a reference or background check. And the one question always asked - is the title.
  • Options
    vfr clownvfr clown Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think titles are bs most of the time, a way for employers to match salaries in a market analysis, bean counters' criteria...I think it is more effective to list your highest level duties/work experience, major projects and/or accomplishments associated with that title. I'm not a fan of buzzwords but I like to use compact action oriented "bullets".
    AOS Computer Systems
    AA General Studies
    BSNOS - 2019
  • Options
    CardboardCardboard Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would hesitate to put the words "Engineer" and "Desktop Support" anywhere near each other on my resume. The only part of imaging PCs that could even remotely be considered "engineering" is the person who creates the image to be put on the computers. I have never done that, and wouldn't have the slightest clue of where to start to make an image.

Senior Desktop Support Tech, or Senior Desktop Support Analyst sounds ok to me, but using "Engineer" in there is just too far over the top. I need to do some more work on the word play.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Perhaps you can share your resume with the forum so that we can help improve it.
    Remove the personal details.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a coworker with an architect title. It's his first role of that sort, and he's not very good at it. I looked at his linkedin the other day and he changed all his past titles to include architect, "jr network architect" that sort of thing, where he was just doing support before. It's been some time now and most of the other coworkers don't like working with him because his suggestions aren't helpful and/or based on a workable plan or best practices.

My whole point of the story is don't change the wording so much that it doesn't actually apply to your real responsibilities, people who know better will see through that fairly quickly.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I have a coworker with an architect title. It's his first role of that sort, and he's not very good at it. I looked at his linkedin the other day and he changed all his past titles to include architect, "jr network architect" that sort of thing, where he was just doing support before. It's been some time now and most of the other coworkers don't like working with him because his suggestions aren't helpful and/or based on a workable plan or best practices.

My whole point of the story is don't change the wording so much that it doesn't actually apply to your real responsibilities, people who know better will see through that fairly quickly.

That is really cheesy! Wonder what their previous peers feel about them?
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Cardboard wrote: »
    I would hesitate to put the words "Engineer" and "Desktop Support" anywhere near each other on my resume. The only part of imaging PCs that could even remotely be considered "engineering" is the person who creates the image to be put on the computers. I have never done that, and wouldn't have the slightest clue of where to start to make an image.

Senior Desktop Support Tech, or Senior Desktop Support Analyst sounds ok to me, but using "Engineer" in there is just too far over the top. I need to do some more work on the word play.

The company where I last worked ended up outsourcing IT and replacing my "IT Coordinator" position with a temp "Desktop Support Engineer." Still can't understand that one.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That is really cheesy! Wonder what their previous peers feel about them?

I met a few at a big vendor event last year, they were not that into him. I doubt they've gone back and checked years later to see if he changed his titles though.
  • Options
    YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□

I've seen IT recruiters and IT managers be the one to suggest and change to the engineer title. It's not too far of a stretch if you understand what you're doing either to create an image. The name of the game is getting a job, don't undersell yourself.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've used "Tier 3 Desktop Support" for a few years on various contract jobs, but I usually have to explain to interviewers what that is.

If that's the case, your problem isn't with the title itself, it is with everything you are putting below it. You probably aren't accurately describing your responsibilities, the quality of your deliverables, the metrics you have achieved and where your role lies in the IT department.

If you got asked, during an interview, "What is the difference between an Engineer level position and a Technician level position that does desktop level support?" what would you give for an answer? As a follow up question, how would you answer "Taking your previous answer into account, do you feel that your title accurately represent your responsibilities at that organization? Why or why not?"

Organizations with good IT hiring practices smell that "Title Engineering" bullshit a mile way and call it out. Those that don't, usually get stuck with an another employee that oversold themselves and will under deliver.

Being able to honestly and accurately articulate your current skills and future goals is a valued trait to many in this industry due to previously experienced horror stories of a bad hire.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If a job title is extraordinarily generic, I will change it to reflect what I actually do. That is one place you do not embellish though, as others have said, you don't add "engineer" or "senior" just to make it sound better. Also, it is one thing I do not change for different jobs, I pick a title that accurately describes the position, and it stays that way forever. The things you change for each different position is a description of what you did, to highlight the skills learned that would be applicable to that specific position.

Edit: Oh and, Desktop Support isn't something I would rename, as it actually does give some insight into a position. Just work on explaining it better in the description portion.