Options

Recent Grad Next Steps

CoreysDadCoreysDad Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

First off I am new to the site joined yesterday so hello everyone.

Second off I recently graduated from Community College with degree in Information Technology (generalized). I took a Linux course, Networking courses, A security Course, and one Server and desktop client course. Although I have dabbed my hands into various areas of IT course work I done not feel specialized or in depth know how in any particular area. My plan is to move out of the billing department of my company and hopefully transfer to their IT department (its a huge company). Although I have no working experience I try to solve all computer issues in my department before a help desk ticket is submitted. These tasks are beyond simple but just some kind of experience is better than none right? To supplement that I plan to obtain some certifications such as A+ and Net+ to start.

Really looking to obtain something entry level but I can lie but most entry level positions I've seen listed require 2 to 3 yrs exp and knowledge of things I eight haven't used or have very little exp and I do not feel qualified for.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi CoreysDad,
    This one is a little tough because you have the HR barrier of needing some on-the-resume IT experience before they'll consider you. Yes, some certs could help. You also have the advantage of being familiar with the company, some of the software it uses, and its corporate culture.

I'd suggest making friends with people in the IT department. Try to share lunch time together and find something in common to the point where they get to know your face, name, and personality. Take your time about doing this.

As they get to know you, demonstrate that you have some IT skills and that they would gain from considering you for an IT level spot. This way you gain influence for an IT manager get your resume past any HR barriers. I know this can be easier said than done, but from their perspective, they will then be choosing between hiring a new employee that they know is okay (you) and hiring someone who might be a jerk to work with or totally incompetent. Choosing you would be to their advantage.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    zcexvezcexve Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you by chance went to Pierce?
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've found that experience can be substituted with core competencies if someone can stay awake through a grave yard shift. Much easier way to get in the door and started.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A graveyard shift is good but since you're already in your company, going to the person who runs the help-desk is better (anything that bypasses HR is better). Go to them and say "I recently got a associates in IT and I do a lot of tier-1 work for my group already, reducing tickets for your group. I'd really like a career in IT, I can do X, Y & Z (if you want a help-desk job there, pick things you know users have problems with and open tickets for) do you have any tips for me?" It's important (for me at least) that the person not be asking for a job. Instead, I'm "an authority" they're asking for advice on. That takes the pressure off and I'm far more likely to say "I have an opening, let's give you a test."