First Cert Recommendation?

Dabull25Dabull25 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ive taken some classes at my local community college a few years ago and got sidetracked but I want to get my first certification. What would be the best one to go after? Ive taken classes in Cisco, general networking, and etchical hacking and defense. Which cert will give me to best odds of landing a job(no prior experience). Thanks!

Comments

• CardboardCardboard Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you have some reasonable amount of experience with PC hardware and software, start with the Cisco CCENT (ICND1 / ICND2) combination.

If you have a fair amount of experience with PC hardware and software, you should be ok.

Some might say the CompTIA A+ or Network+, but they are lower than even the CCENT, and would only be good if you have little to no PC experience so far.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One cert to start? That's hard to say. I always recommend that new people go for three: A+, CCENT/CCNA as well as a basic OS exam in something like Windows 10. When you are new, you don't want to be " overqualified" by having a CCNP and MCSE but no experience. Those three make you well-rounded but at an entry level.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Any chance you can go back to school and finish your degree?

A degree last forever , certs don't
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Dabull25Dabull25 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a B.S. degree in a completely unrelated field. I am about 4 courses from finishing my associates degree in information security but I didnt know if I should go for certs now to try and get a job.