Options

Info Security .2% Unemployment Rate

2»

Comments

• Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That whole .2% rate is about as silly as saying if you get your MCSE you'll make $50K /w no prior exp. Yes, infosec is a great industry to be in, but just like anything else in life it all depends on the person, where they live, and how passionate they are about what they do. Anytime I was ever in between jobs it took me a good 5-6 months to get a new job. Now I live out in the middle of nowhere, and have to drive a good 45min-1hr one way for any IT jobs. If you live near or outside a major city, then that's a different story. Places like MA, NYC, Philly, Baltimore/DC, NoVa are all hotspots for infosec jobs.

On the other side of that coin, you also have some that aren't making a real effort to keep their skills updated. Even if you worked in infosec for a number of years, and didn't keep things updated, or didn't pursue a degree, you may see that finding a job takes a hell of a lot longer. What really drives me nuts more than anything is some ppl in mgmt positions that have relied on that salary more than keeping their core skills updated. After a certain age I totally get it, and yes the further up the chain you go the less you use those core skills, but not doing something to maintain things just in case is foolish IMO.
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    ...I am still bored to tears maintaining 80 FirePower firewalls and supporting some MobileIron troubleshooting/ForeScout NAC stuff...

Heh, want something to end your boredom? Start on creating a NIST 800-53 document for your organization. Talk about a lot writing.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it depends on the market you are in. I'm here in South Florida, can't find a job!!! Even with all my qualifications(CISSP, CISA , CISM, CRISC and 19 years of IT experience. If anyone knows a good recruiter here or anyone hiring security experts please give me a shout(PM).
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is this why more and more professionals who are not recruiters willing to recommand me? I always wonder why people in my area would contact me through LinkedIn who I did not know.

Sounds like a great way to recruit talent.
    Makes sense to me.
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This feels like when CompTIA says that people with the Security+ make anywhere from 40k to 90k. Right. 90k.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    This feels like when CompTIA says that people with the Security+ make anywhere from 40k to 90k. Right. 90k.

I have Security+ and make over that.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    I'm sure you know what he means. You're not getting paid over 90k because you hold a Security+ or have just that level of knowledge and if you are, then you're a unicorn. I.e. Bill Gates can go out and get a S+, but that's not going to say "Well I have a security+ and make billions of dollars, you can too!".
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do as well but you have people that take only the security+ and believe that. Its different if you have experience, degree, and certs.

Thats what I meant
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    I think it depends on the market you are in. I'm here in South Florida, can't find a job!!! Even with all my qualifications(CISSP, CISA , CISM, CRISC and 19 years of IT experience. If anyone knows a good recruiter here or anyone hiring security experts please give me a shout(PM).

I am also in that area and it is a bit dry other than system and network gigs.