Options

CISSP Passed!

DanGoodDanGood Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
As above, passed on first attempt. Long time lurker looking at varying studying techniques and what not.

12 year background in IT with the past 5 or so in network security.

Started studying 2 hours per night from October, took a week off study at Christmas and since Sunday have upped that to 12 hours for the past 4 days.

Read CISSP for Dummies to make relatively light work of all the subjects as it is was fairly easy reading - going from cover to cover.
Then re-read the book, highlighting key points and exploring more in the Sybex book until I thoroughly understood the concept.
Also had the official Sybex CISSP android app on my phone since November doing daily flashcards and tests during my tube jounreys into work.

Test was fairly straightforward, in the first 10 questions I flagged 6 for review, then realised I was being over cautious and should go with my gut in most instances as I thought I understood the right approach to get the answer.

Felt comfortable and tackled all 250 in one stint and started reviewing the 24 I flagged. However at this point I decided to take a break after reviewing the first 3, and after a banana, bottle of water and 10min rest I completed the final 21 question review in 10mins.

Total time was around 3.5 hours and I think there was only 2 or 3 questions I really had no idea on and blindly guessed!

I would say to anyone attempting the test, you really need to put in the ground work and study even if you believe you know all the concepts.

Best of luck!

Comments

• Options
    vijaytyagi@msn.comvijaytyagi@msn.com Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations :)
  • Options
    lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
  • Options
    DanGoodDanGood Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks! Picked up some great pointers from people on here about the differing techniques and study material people used and tailored that to my needs.

I also forgot to add that I completed the entire Cybrary CISSP set (some of the video's I had to watch 2 or 3 times to really cement the principles), also went back over my CEH notes from the exam and course I took the middle of last year, which were also quite useful and relevant.
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    pinksjpinksj Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulation DanGood and thank you for writing in details on your experience.
  • Options
    AndyLien79AndyLien79 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. Four month!, it was good accomplish.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.