Options

Any Veterans using their GI Bill at WGU?

SMiKE03SMiKE03 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Trying to get an idea of what they pay and how you have to cover the tuition for WGU. I understand using the montgomery GI bill is aprx. 1850 a month paid to you. Just curious how you go about paying the tuition, if WGU would require that to be upfront or if I could make payments throughout the terms.

I still got some time before I'm going to apply, I have a grant where I'm going to New Horizons for my A+, Net+, and Sec+, might as well finish those first before applying to help knock out some courses. Passed both my A+ 2 weeks ago, Net+ should be in a couple weeks.

Thanks for your time

Comments

• Options
    supafish9supafish9 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Depending on your income and personal situation, you should apply for the FAFSA and see if you can get federal aid in addition to using the GI Bill. I'm currently using the Montgomery GI Bill and I pay for my term up front, and then I'm "reimbursed" $1850/month while I'm taking classes. Contact WGU's veteran's department and they'll be able to walk you through the details.

Depending on how much you're paying for New Horizons, WGU's fee will pay for the certifications during your term. I managed to knock out the CompTIA trio during my first term, so I think I'm getting an excellent value for the tuition money.
  • Options
    Thank you for the fast reply! Overall are you satisified with the choice to go to school there? I didn't want to attend a traditional school and not be able to go at an accelerated pace as much, and the overall reviews on this board about the school seems fairly positive.

I will definitely look into applying for FAFSA. My only concern would be paying the first term up front, I'd have to receive a student loan or something of the sorts first. With the relatively inexpensive costs at WGU and the amount the GI bill pays, it would be like 8,200 a month extra over a single term, so afterwards I would be alright.

As for New Horizons, I received a grant through the workforce innovation and opportunity act, which paid for all the courses, vouchers for the exams and measureup practice tests. I have about a month left of "attending" the school before I lose the financial aid, so trying to finish up these last 2 certs, which I'm mostly prepared for.
  • Options
    cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    WGU is amazing @SMiKE03, 100% go for it!
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • Options
    jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    I went to WGU for a masters degree partially on GI Bill and Chapter 35 benefits and based on the certifications they offer its an excellent way to use some of your benefits. For instance with the CEH offered as a course through WGU, you get to pick up the official class material and get your exam voucher through them (atleast, you could when I went). Otherwise you wouldn't be able to use either benefit to purchase the class materials directly, only reimbursement for the exam.

However I left the MSISA program and decided to transfer my credits and go elsewhere (Capitol Technology University if you're interested). WGU is a excellent school but I had a few quirks that I couldn't ignore:

A: The school doesn't have much name recognition.
    B: It was tough to convince hiring people that it was *not* a for profit school. For some people, 100% online schools are all for profit.
    C: Its hard to explain how WGU works and why there are no professors.
    D: Your "GPA" shakes out to a 3.0 since everything is pass/fail but what if you strive for a 3.5 or 4.0?

Like I said I enjoyed my time there and appreciate the WGU mission. If none of the above matters to you, its an excellent education. I was and will always be a "night owl" (my kid loves their mascot).
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SMiKE03 wrote: »
    <Snip...>My only concern would be paying the first term up front, I'd have to receive a student loan or something of the sorts first. <Snip...>

WGU has a payment plan available as well so you can break the term payments up into smaller chunks. I don't recall but I think it is 4 or 5 payments over the course of the term if that helps.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    After I learned a coworker was getting her MBA from WGU, I was ready to start. I checked out Utica College, UMUC, Carnegie Mellon, and soooo many others looking for a solid graduate program that I could do online. Ultimately, I decided to work on a SANS graduate certificate first. The primary reason was to get the most valuable training and certs possible since I just started in a security position. The second had to do with money, since the SANS courses are waaayyy more than I could afford to fork out myself, and paying for WGU out of pocket is much more manageable if I decide to do so.

I have to wonder about using the GI bill on WGU, though. IF you blaze through a degree in a year or so, it's probably worth it since they deduct the benefit by time rather than dollars. With the 30 months I had left, I could knock out a degree from WGU in hopefully 12 months or less, leaving me with at least 18 more months of benefit. However, if you're going to do just little bits at a time, then it doesn't seem to make sense to use the GI bill. Since the GI bill is worth like $22k (not including the housing!) per year in tuition, it seems like it'd be a waste to spend essentially $22k+ per year on something that would really only cost you $7k, especially if you are allowed to break that $7k up into smaller payments.
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    For $3000 per term, I wouldn't waste the GI Bill on WGU if you have CH 33 since they take away months rather than money.
    Ch 30 should be cool but I would advice not to use the GI Bill as "additional monthly stipend". If you receive it, pay off the school tuition and sock away the rest for other academic ventures, not live off it.
  • Options
    I was comparing other competency based programs such as the University of Wisconsin for the name recognition, but the degree itself is less interesting to me than the BS: IT Security offered at WGU with the added bonus of more certifications, which is really drawing me to the program. I shouldn't have a problem with finishing the degree in a reasonable amount of time, still leaving months on my Montgomery GI Bill benefit (better to use that for online school than post 9/11) and with using the montgomery first, I believe you can get a year extension after it runs out from the post 9/11? I'll have to contact a VA rep to be sure about that. If so, I may be able to use it to go farther and get a MS. One step at a time though right now. I don't plan on using the GI Bill stipend as my way of living, I support a child by myself and will be working throughout the time, which is why I'm looking into online schools. It definitely helps with comfort of living though.
  • Options
    I hear you about comfort of living, which is why I'm advising against it if you can afford it.
    Once you use up your CH30, you get 12 months of CH33 (Post 9/11). That's what I'm on right now and why I'm not using it for WGU.
  • Options
    Either way I only have time to do some form of online degree program, which is where the CH30 wins out in this case, even with CH33 paying tuition and BAH it's less money overall. WGU seems to have good reviews even from simple google searches. The University of Wisconsins Flex program is intriguing and definitely more of a prestigious university, would only be about 1000 more tuition wise every 6 months, just the degree itself is less interesting to me and the certs is a huge added bonus at WGU. I'm not so much worried about exhausting GI bill benefits as long as I complete my goals, which I have 0 doubt I will.
  • Options
    Good luck with it either way you go.
    If you need anything, just ask. There're plenty of people here that have completed WGU degrees that can help.
  • Options
    supafish9supafish9 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm pretty happy with the courses and materials that WGU has offered so far. I am currently in the BS-ITSEC degree plan but working as a field service technician. Using the Montgomery will give you more money in your pocket, and with WGU's low cost, the pay at six months ($1850*6=$11000) is more than enough to pay for multiple terms.

I managed to knock out 31CUs the first term while working a job that's averaging 8-16 hours a day. Use all your resources and don't squander your time - flashcards on your phone, videos from Lynda.com while eating, and reading the chapters instead of watching TV. It's all a matter of motivation and how fast you want to get that degree and move on to bigger and better things. I'm currently taking a month off between terms so I don't burn out though.