Options

Easiest way to get into WGU BSIT?

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
A friend of mine had been rejected from WGU's BSIT some years back as he had no IT experience and no certs obviously. He's looking to leave his current career and I'm trying to show him how he could in fact get into WGU's BSIT. Now my sister is wanting to leave nursing and get into IT (she started on a BSCS before switching to a BSN).

In looking at WGU's BSIT specific admissions page, I'm confused on if one or all of the following requirements must be met:

Special Requirements for WGU’s B.S. IT Programs
• Possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
• Demonstrate IT experience through at least one of the following:
◦ An associate’s degree in IT or equivalent (A.S. or A.A.S. acceptable).
◦ A completed Udacity nanodegree in Data Analytics (applicable to the B.S. in Data Management/Data Analytics degree only).
◦ High-level IT coursework completed within the last five years:
▪ Two or more upper-level networking courses; OR
▪ Two or more upper-level object-oriented programming courses (Java, C#, etc.); OR
▪ One or more upper-level operating systems courses; OR
▪ One or more upper-level information security and assurance courses.
◦ Hold high-level IT certification in network, security, programming, data management, operating systems, or hardware management earned within the last five years.
Submit a resume showing three-plus years of IT work experience.

So they meet the High School diploma requirement. From what I read of the IT experience demonstration, they can knock out one certification. Is that correct? Could they just knock out the A+ certification, and get accepted?

I know my friend has an AA degree I believe, and obviously my sister has her BSN. So just how much of the non-technical courses will WGU let you transfer in?
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have read of several people who have used A+ to get in.

Personally, I had let all of my certs lapse years ago, because they were useless at the time. I did not have an associates. WGU would not accept me.

So I decided to get an MCSA to meet the requirements. Then I did Sec+ and Net+, and had my A+ switched to CE status. Then I did the database MTA. I was on a mission to get every cert first.

So in hindsight, I guess I could have just gotten my A+ renewed and gotten straight in. Lol icon_lol.gif

(But all my certs did knock out almost all of the tech classes.)
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Oh, and they do accept prior college coursework. I got credit for English, ethics, communications, algebra, etc. from two incomplete degrees I started but never finished.

I believe the max they will waive is like 75% of the credit hours or something. Will need official transcripts, of course.
  • Options
    PocketLumberjackPocketLumberjack Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got in with Net+, I'm sure A+ or CCENT would work too...
    Learn some thing new every day, but don’t forget to review things you know.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If they have an AA or above that should waive their general ed classes.

I would strongly recommend that they try self studying the A+/Net+/Sec+ because if they can't handle the discipline of self study or the technical material than an entire degree program of that isn't going to be a good fit. Tell them to think of it as a trail run before committing $3k for a whole semester and it wouldn't be for not since the cert will transfer in.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Thanks for all of the info and advice! I'll definitely pass this on to them. I'm glad to hear that they'll be able to get in with one of the certs.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    vfr clownvfr clown Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I enrolled with an AAGS and some certs but I could have gotten in with just the AA or some certs.
    AOS Computer Systems
    AA General Studies
    BSNOS - 2019
  • Options
    rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got in with my A+ with no experience in IT and now I have A+, N+, S+, P+ and working on other classes. WGU two thumbs up>
    WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
    Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA