Options

Do all non-IT people play completely IT illiterate around fellow IT peeps?

ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
When I try to explain in the most basic of terms that I work on wireless and firewalls for companies, as soon as I say that one part of a sentence, people are like "Ya lost me 10 minutes ago."

Is it just me or is their some stigma if there is an "IT" person in the room, everyone else just goes brain dead in the lobe that holds information about technology?

At my job I am usually able to "talk them off the ledge" for people with the "I don't know" response, when they have no choice but to be my eyes and ears, having to reset firewalls or by dog almighty log into them and make config changes.

You can tell someone is in IT shock when every instruction you give them to fix an issue, you get the response "Okaaaaay?" every step of the way :)

I digress though, does everyone else fall over brain dead when you walk into the room, and they know you work / study IT?

Comments

• Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most people tend to relax after some time, if they see the IT Guy is not the "ultimate badass", and they can start talking. Some people take longer than others. If somebody is the "IT guy", they are often elevated to "expert" in peoples' minds (whether they actually are or not, and your own assessment/attitude about your own skills is irrelevant in this situation.)
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My mom is a great cook, my brother was a professional chef. Whenever she was cooking and he visited home she needed him to check everything she made because suddenly she wasn't as confident in her abilities as she normally was. I imagine there are a lot of similar parallels in other industries too.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't know your work tasks but seems like it's networking. So I am curious why you are interfacing with non IT people? Your management should be doing that or you are the management. Usually management deals with non IT people and let the engineers handle their responsibilities. Unless the non-it people you are dealing with is your management, then major ouch! Run for the hills! Lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Why do something yourself when you have someone more capable available to do it for you. :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS