Storage Area Network - Reading?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Any suggestions on reading to get up to speed on SANs?

Thanks in advance!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    EMC book [h=1]Information Storage and Management: Storing, Managing, and Protecting Digital Information in Classic, Virtualized, and Cloud Environments[/h]is very good place to start
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To give a little background this is EMC's entry level storage cert book. I'll also add that even though the cert is gone Storage+ books are still a good resource until EMC updates their book (its for the old v2 exam when v3 is out). Also look at CBT Nuggets for videos if you're that type of person. Since you didn't mention you were trying for any certs it may be worthwhile since you can just watch without notes.
    trojin wrote: »
    EMC book Information Storage and Management: Storing, Managing, and Protecting Digital Information in Classic, Virtualized, and Cloud Environments

is very good place to start
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks all! Not sure about going for a certification at this point, but if so something vendor neutral (SNIA Certified Storage Professional). Looks like I might be designing a project for work and will need a SAN.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good stuff, was just wondering this myself. I just started a new position where I've found myself needing to learn about storage.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Then I would look at something like the old Storage+ books. Before the certification ended they had a partnership with SNIA. Almost like the Linux+ and LPIC
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Thanks all! Not sure about going for a certification at this point, but if so something vendor neutral (SNIA Certified Storage Professional). Looks like I might be designing a project for work and will need a SAN.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    Thanks for the info! I found an article last night that gave me a really good overview and assisted me in rereading an article in regards to the theory I was working off of.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    I passed the SNIA exam and I do not recommend it. Sure, it has good theory but I'd invest my time elsewhere.

For your project, just see what vendor is providing the solution and read through that vendor documentation

Light reading on wikipedia for the theory is enough IMHO
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do you really need a SAN, or can a NAS/JBOD work? Windows Storage Server is pretty damn good if you are just provisioning network storage. Just an option.

I'm running two NAS boxes with virtualized DC's at work. It's pretty nice for my little isolated domain.
    We're looking at a lot of data to be placed in the system so I don't believe, long term, a NAS or group of NAS is the practicable and cost efficient way of doing it. Thanks again all!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff