Options

which SANS courses to help resume ?

Aarav2016Aarav2016 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello

What SANS courses would help a resume standout, for someone with little actual cybersecurity work experience. I am trying to counter a lack of experience with courses/training.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SANS isn't the magic bullet. Your best bet is more experience. Have you looked at other entry level certs like Security+ and the upcoming Cyber Security Analyst+? These could get you started in a SOC.
    Aarav2016 wrote: »
    Hello

What SANS courses would help a resume standout, for someone with little actual cybersecurity work experience. I am trying to counter a lack of experience with courses/training.

Thank you
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    GSEC is the most frequently asked for GIAC cert around me. Otherwise they just generically say "GIAC" without listing a specific one.

GSEC is also a good entry-level course. If you're just starting out, though, I'd get Security+ first to introduce the overall concepts around infosec and then hit the GSEC for more technical, hands-on, real-world stuff. Security+ is also going to be a heck of a lot cheaper!
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My guess would be whichever GIAC credential is relevant to the position that you apply for. For example, if you are looking to get into incident handling then SEC504 would be good to take.

Would you describe your actual cybersecurity experience and what you are interested in?
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You may want to get the basics down first to build your foundation.

We don't know your education or experience but to obtain a GIAC certification from SANS may not be the best way to help you in your cause.
    The classes run ~$5K USD and you really need to know quite a bit of information. Most of these classes are at a higher level and can be overwhelming.

In addition, the exams are expensive by themselves.
  • Options
    Aarav2016Aarav2016 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    E Double U wrote: »
    My guess would be whichever GIAC credential is relevant to the position that you apply for. For example, if you are looking to get into incident handling then SEC504 would be good to take.

Would you describe your actual cybersecurity experience and what you are interested in?

have built some PC's myself, and set up my own home networks. I have also done some free IT support and educational IT classes to a local retirement center, mostly network set up stuff, made sure their free antivirus was up to date, firewalls updated, etc. I have talk to their residents (large meeting room, about 50 folks attended) about phishing scams and various internet scams the elderly can fall victim to. I am doing this to help fill in my resume.

most of my IT background is self-taught. sorry, no "formal" classes. hence my question, I know SANS has solid reputation

if I skip the formal classes, what other "OJT" can I do to help my resume.

thank you again
  • Options
    switch.dswitch.d Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Based on your experience I wouldn't recommend a SANS course, start off with Net+, Sec+, CEH, or CCNA. There are many great SANS courses but don't waste your time and money in a course lower than the 500 level. Once you become comfortable I would recommend these courses:

SEC504 (GCIH) is similar to CEH.
    SEC560 (GPEN) if you have CEH, GCIH, or gain experience breaking boxes.
    SEC503 (GCIA) is great if you understand packet analysis, if you don't download and play around with wireshark, tcpdump, tshark, snort and bro.
    FOR508 (GCFA) if you are interesting in incident response and/or digital forensics

Good luck, have fun!
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Aarav2016 - I think reading CompTIA Security+ material would be good for you then. If money is no option then feel free to jump into the wonderful world of SANS.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are employed somewhere that has and educational reimbursement program take a look at SANS Cyber Security masters degree | Information Security Masters Degree, they have a college accreditation and certificate programs that you may be able to pay for under your employers educational program. If you aren't currently working somewhere that has such a program, don't overlook it as something to consider when evaluating a job offer. Some companies pay 15K per year in educational assistance.

If you are looking at something in the Federal Space or Fed Contractor, do security+, its a requirement for DOD 8570 and its a good cert to start with anyway. I'd make it my first choice if I were building my resume from the ground up. Its respected, well known, good content, and won't take tons of time or money to pursue. After that, it really depends on what facet of security you want to focus on. If you want to be a pentester do CEH then OSCP. If you want to work in network security start doing CCNA:RS then CCNA:Sec.