Options

Which linux distro to use to study for linux+

MashoTGMashoTG Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Total newb here, barely getting my feet wet with linux. I bought a comptia cert guide off amazon, and going i to the first chapter i notice that they dont tell you what version of linux to install. Right off the bat it just assumes you already got it running, despite the chapter called "installing linux"

So is it ok if I use any distro like kali? Thx in advance

Comments

• Options
    cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    Install Virtualbox
    Install Debian (Command Line aka CLI)
    Install CentOS (Command Line aka CLI)

The test doesn't really use GUI distro's like Kali. I used Ucertify(costs provided by WGU) for Linux+

Print out Exam Objectives from Comptia Website as well.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I second the use of CentOS and Ubuntu. Link those exam objectives to the commands, and options for said commands you will be tested on.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cdx wrote: »
    Install Virtualbox
    Install Debian (Command Line aka CLI)
    Install CentOS (Command Line aka CLI)

The test doesn't really use GUI distro's like Kali. I used Ucertify(costs provided by WGU) for Linux+

Print out Exam Objectives from Comptia Website as well.

I am also doing the Ucertify course from WGU for Linux+, I bought a cheap laptop from my local pawnshop and wiped it and installed Ubuntu on it, and trying to use it as much as possible outside of work
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Ubuntu/Debian and CentOS/RedHat. If you want a change, try SUSE. You will need some exposure to both the Debian flavour and the RedHat flavour to be comfortable with the exam. Longer term CentOS/RedHat is probably a good way to go if you plan on taking RHCE.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM