Options

Concerned about something...... (work related)

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
I currently accepted a new position, however I am unable to tell me current employer since I don't have the background check and drug test. I am good but I am neurotic and I don't want to be left high and dry. I don't have the acceptance paper yet.

Anyway there is a start date of the 8th next month. That's the soft date that was proposed to me, I said I didn't see a problem with it. This will allow me two weeks to give (easily), which is customary in the US for mid level roles.

However, I am in a mission critical role and management is just now getting started on the hiring process for the junior role beneath me, which has been open since September! In theory if he or she was here already I could of given them a crash course into the database and all jobs etc running.

Have you need in a situation like this before? Should I offer my services to my current company and risk annoying the new employer? I'm nervous to be honest....

Thanks for reading and potentially chiming in.

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's hard not to care but repeat after me, "It's just business". In fact, you giving them two weeks notice is probably a lot more generous than when they let all of your coworkers go without notice. It goes both ways.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you've accepted the position with the new company, it's up to THEM if they are willing to allow you to help out your current company. If there is a time-conflict, obviously you can't let your new employer suffer. If you're willing to help them out outside of your regular work hours, that's up to you. However, NetworkNewb is absolutely right - they'll be just fine without you.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Srsly Bro, c'mon DBH... Nut up.

You seem like a great and caring person, but if they can't get their house in order within 2 weeks after you drop the news (sooner, I'm sure - if you've got the acceptance paper in writing and a start-date), then screw them. They just barfed all over your co-workers and caused you undue stress that resulted in you finding this new job. They ought to be counting themselves lucky you don't just drop a crypto-locker on the DB & backups and pull a milton on the building. (I'm joking of course... o_O ) lulz
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey weren't we just talking about you predicament awhile ago? Great to see you've got some good news.

Now for the harsh truth. The companies don't care about you. That's a good thing though! What that means is you give them the two weeks and let them figure that out.

If they wanted to have their hands held they should have thought about that before that mix up earlier.
    I currently accepted a new position, however I am unable to tell me current employer since I don't have the background check and drug test. I am good but I am neurotic and I don't want to be left high and dry. I don't have the acceptance paper yet.

Anyway there is a start date of the 8th next month. That's the soft date that was proposed to me, I said I didn't see a problem with it. This will allow me two weeks to give (easily), which is customary in the US for mid level roles.

However, I am in a mission critical role and management is just now getting started on the hiring process for the junior role beneath me, which has been open since September! In theory if he or she was here already I could of given them a crash course into the database and all jobs etc running.

Have you need in a situation like this before? Should I offer my services to my current company and risk annoying the new employer? I'm nervous to be honest....

Thanks for reading and potentially chiming in.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    p@r0tuXus wrote: »
    Srsly Bro, c'mon DBH... Nut up.

You seem like a great and caring person, but if they can't get their house in order within 2 weeks after you drop the news (sooner, I'm sure - if you've got the acceptance paper in writing and a start-date), then screw them. They just barfed all over your co-workers and caused you undue stress that resulted in you finding this new job. They ought to be counting themselves lucky you don't just drop a crypto-locker on the DB & backups and pull a milton on the building. (I'm joking of course... o_O ) lulz
    Ha! You made me laugh icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I went through this 5 years ago when I accepted my current position. I was excited but at the same time I felt guilty for leaving, much more so than I should have given the situation, and it made me apprehensive about even making the change. I'm extremely risk averse anyway and I think I was confusing guilt for being afraid of change.

Anyway, I manned up, made sure the new company knew I wasn't confirming my last day with the old company until the background and drug test were done, and had the meeting with my manager when the time came.

In my case, it was not shocking that I was being enticed to go elsewhere, though I don't think they expected me to leave quite as soon as I did. I ended up working out a deal to stay an extra week and to help screen candidates for my replacement in exchange for getting paid out all the vacation time I had accumulated (I would have lost about 8 days I think, I had not been using all of my vacation time like an idiot). The new company wasn't thrilled about me delaying a week, but they got over it. My recruiter assured me that it wasn't going to jeopardize my offer, or I would have just forfeited the vacation time and started on my originally planned date.

At the end of the day, it is just business. You have to do what is best for you and your family.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As much as we all like to think we are extremely important to companies, I'm sure they will be just fine without you.

If only more people realized this.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Repped on the 'Nut up'!

The guys have covered it pretty well, it ain't your problem. Think about this for a second: do you want to annoy the people you will most likely never see again or the new employer that you need to impress/prove yourself?

BTW, you put notice ONLY when that background check clears and you have a DEFINITIVE start date, not one second earlier. If the BG check takes a while, new employer needs to adjust the start date.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feed back I appreciate it.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with not putting in your notice until you have an official offer. Also, I wouldn't give them more than 2 weeks or less than 2 weeks notice, I'd give them exactly 2 weeks notice.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Most certainly waiting for the offer letter. I was playing phone tag today, but was very clear I would hold off my two weeks until all my checks came back and I was officially hired.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with everything that has been said. Hypothetically, how would you feel if you gave more than two weeks notice and they fired you on the spot?
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't worry. Just be sure to give two weeks notice.

if you have special projects or apps, etc.

spend some time going thru each and write a half page note for each.
    how to access? Links, ip#s, etc. vendor contacts, etc...
    things that someone stepping in would need to start with.

have this ready to turn in when time is ready.

just stay professional as you will want to get job reference in future.

good luck!
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    twodogs62 wrote: »
    spend some time going thru each and write a half page note for each.
    how to access? Links, ip#s, etc. vendor contacts, etc...
    things that someone stepping in would need to start with.

have this ready to turn in when time is ready.

I'll second that - write a brief "how-to" manual for whoever picks up the pieces when you leave, assuming that they have the same level of SQL knowledge or whatever that you have and tell them what, where, when etc to do the things that need doing to keep the lights on.

Other than that, they will survive. I've seen this sort of thing happen dozens of times over the years and it causes a bit of grief now & again but not nearly as much as you may think.

Treat it a bit like an ex-girlfriend - it is much cleaner to make the break and move on, hopefully to a new girlfriend that is hotter, has less crazy issues and has an unhealthy interest in your favourite perversions.
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think everyone else here has summed it up nicely. Never feel bad for taking the leap when you've given them proper notice. There's nothing wrong with being empathetic to your current employer but don't beat yourself up over it. Above all else stay the course.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,053 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Should I offer my services to my current company and risk annoying the new employer? I'm nervous to be honest....

lol
    Dude... quit being a big softy :]

I tell you what,
    just have a sit-down with your current boss and give him these 3 talking points:
    Going to have to step up.
    More work but we feel you have the bandwidth.
    Stick around good things are going to happen to you in 2 - 3 years.

Voila!
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    lol
    Dude... quit being a big softy :]

I tell you what,
    just have a still down with your current boss and give him these 3 talking points:

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by DatabaseHead
    Going to have to step up.
    More work but we feel you have the bandwidth.
    Stick around good things are going to happen to you in 2 - 3 years.

Voila!

Ha! Don't forget the microphone drop!
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In your situation, I'm not sure I would be as generous as you are. I would likely give a one week notice. Given how they treated your colleagues, they don't deserve this much respect.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    That made me laugh!