Just finished Prowse's 901 Video Course...

L_D_GL_D_G Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
I took a lot of notes. A few areas were basically review which made the climb seem less steep. Taking practice tests now and my grades aren't great. Some things are still very foreign to me (details of networking are a trouble spot). I'm debating going through the course again, but am wondering if Messer's youtube course is a better option? I guess I just don't know where to go from here.

I should note I'm coming into this with no work experience in the IT world. More so the family's IT guy.

I do plan to get Exam Cram and the Exam Cram Practice book.

Comments

• cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    Study materials I used to pass and that I recommend:
    EXAMCRAM Book by DAVID L. PROWSE - I used their exam cram sheet that is included with the book. I did not read the book but if you want to take the time you can and it should help you further understand the material.

Professor Messor A+ Videos on youtube. (free) I watched all of his videos.

Practice Tests:
    Examcompass.com (I took all 10 of their 801 A+ Practice tests and made sure I was getting 90% on each one)
    Examcram Practice tests that come with the book

I had years worth of helpdesk IT work under my belt, so if you are new to the IT world, I would 110% recommend watching Messor's youtube videos to understand the content, find a spare desktop computer and take it apart, rebuild it, load an operating system on it, to help learn the hands on.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • L_D_GL_D_G Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cdx wrote: »
    Practice Tests:
    Examcompass.com (I took all 10 of their 801 A+ Practice tests and made sure I was getting 90% on each one)
    Examcram Practice tests that come with the book

I had years worth of helpdesk IT work under my belt, so if you are new to the IT world, I would 110% recommend watching Messor's youtube videos to understand the content, find a spare desktop computer and take it apart, rebuild it, load an operating system on it, to help learn the hands on.

I intend to utilize everything you mentioned, plus crucialexams.com

I just built my first solo PC (first general build in 15ish years), so I'm hopeful that aids the hands on.
    IT_Guy wrote: »
    Are the Prowse videos that you mention available online (free)?

If you have access to Military One Source or Safari Books Online, yes. That's how I did it at least.
  • L_D_GL_D_G Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IT_Guy wrote: »
    No access to Military One Source. Not heard of Safari Books Online but just googled it, did a search for compTIA A+ and it came back with a dozens of links to books and video courses. Are they all accessible with premium membership?

I would assume so? One Source got me the access. I don't know membership levels for Safari or if that's even what I have. FAQ or customer support is going to be able to answer that better than I.
  • hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    one thing you can check out is professor Messer has a free study group on his site.