Options

Certified Cyber Forensics Professional (CCFP)

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
Anyone have this? Does the clout of ISC2 only exist for CISSP? Or is it legit for other certs too? Looking for a forensics cert
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Following, this is something I have in my long term plans.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I can't speak for the value but it's evident that this cert is extremely unpopular. There are only a few hits on the job boards. As a pint of reference, CCFP launched in April 2014. To this day there are 101 certified folks in the US. On the other hand, ISC2's CCSP launched in April 2015 and there are 800+ certified pros to date. Either nobody cares or they need to market it better.
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I can't speak for the value but it's evident that this cert is extremely unpopular. There are only a few hits on the job boards. As a pint of reference, CCFP launched in April 2014. To this day there are 101 certified folks in the US. On the other hand, ISC2's CCSP launched in April 2015 and there are 800+ certified pros to date. Either nobody cares or they need to market it better.

I had emailed ISC2 last year asking if they planning on submitting it for DODi8750 and they did not have plans for that.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I might have to look into this. The field is newer (ish). Too many of the digital forensics folks I speak with are getting blended in with infosec or IR and not really performing true digital forensics. I worked as a true digital forensics investigator at my last job. It was vastly different than IR or infosec. We were placed in a tier above IR and not inserted into IR. I think job hits on this certification are going to be far fewer than most expect because most are probably doing IR certs. I have run into very few who hold the Master's degree in Digital Forensic science from Champlain. However, the degree with the right company(s) is highly valued. In my company, my MSDFS is really coveted and they even have agreements with Champlain to do infosec and cyber security training. I a going to look into the CCFP since it would bolster my creds in digital forensics.
  • Options
    ok thanks, looks like I'm bailing on this one
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What other certs for forensics would you potentially recommend?
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    ok thanks, looks like I'm bailing on this one
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    What other certs for forensics would you potentially recommend?

that's what I'm currently looking in to, don't really know where to start, just picked this because of CISSP
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I enjoyed the exam, but I can't say I have seen ROI beyond being qualified to keep my current position. I have had a few hits from recruiters on LinkedIn looking for forensic candidates, but that's it.

Beyond that, I can say that I really enjoyed the exam a lot. The exam addresses a good mix of technical, administrative, legal, and procedural topics.

There are ~100 hits for CCFP on Indeed, where GCFA and GCFE have about 75-ish more. CFCE has around 75 hits.

What are you trying to accomplish with a forensics cert? That might be the better question.
  • Options
    company has money to burn, asked me to look into Forensics.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'd do SANS, if I had the option.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SANS definitely if possible. Obviously any vendor specific training for the tools you will be utilizing. CCE seems to carry some clout within the forensic community. Our Office of Homeland Security paid for the two SANS forensic courses and people said some good things about it. Plus it includes an external write blocker!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    (ISC)2 doesn't seem to be pushing this certification at all. They don't even have any computer forensics training classes available, not even on demand. If enough people start to show interest in the cert though, then (ISC)2 may start to market it more, increasing its value. So don't shy away from it because its not popular, go for it anyways. If enough people did that, it would become a desirable cert.
  • Options
    it actually is back on the table now, since I think I can do it via self-study instead of booking a boot camp or whatever, save that dough
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark