Options

What to you cram on before an interview? (Network folks)

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
Like mentioned what do you fellow networks folks cram on right before an interview? I've found this a difficult realm to tackle because there are so many topics that could be asked on during an interview and it's near impossible to be 100% ready and have everything fresh. I feel like I might overcram on the more complicated stuff and ignore fundamentals because I think "will always have the easy stuff fresh" but truth of the matter I rarely touch on very simple fundamental stuff in my day-to-day job and feel I let slip some of this stuff that I know would simply take one simple google refresh.

Ideas?
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I had quite a few interviews recently while I was waiting to be laid off from my last position. I found myself getting asked a lot of questions that I would find on an entry-level certification exam. Nothing too crazy, but for example, during my interview at a school district, the interview panel asked me what command I would use to see how many collisions have happened on a switch port. I had JUST driven 12 hours for the interview, so I couldn't remember that it was "show interfaces blah/blah". At a different interview, they showed me a bunch of fiber cables and asked me to identify the types of connectors.

My mentality is that I have the education, certifications, and experience. If I can't recall the exact details that they "expect" me to be able to pull from my nether-regions, then so be it. I'd rather they judge me on my "total package" and not treat the interview like a certification exam. You could be an encyclopedia of technical knowledge and a crappy employee. I ended up getting turned away from about 4 different companies after their interviews, and finally scored an awesome job that I love.

You didn't exactly say if you are preparing for an interview, but if you are, best of luck!
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Like mentioned what do you fellow networks folks cram on right before an interview?

Not sure what you mean, do you expect them to ask you off the wall networking questions you have to be ready to answer? With your CCNP, I would have a low tolerance for question and answer routine. It's pretty hard to Braindump to the CCNP level, I wouldn't worry about it, a few technical knowledge questions are OK, but if they start throwing you the question and answer routine I'd just get up and walk out of the interview.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Agree with what have been said above.
    I mainly research the company a little, learn about them, what they do. I'm usually genuinely intrigued and ask them about company and processes stuff on the interview. I may brush on a topic I haven't worked on for years if it seems critical for the new gig.
    Like maybe you worked with VMs 5 years ago but haven't touched since and it's on the new gig description. You will probably be able to move around the software but may need a brush up.
    Besides that I don't really prepare for anything. I know what I know and that's it.

PS. as Gromit said, I loathe google/dictionary questions.
    meh
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I had an initial phone screening with a company that does placement for other companies (basically a recruiting company) but it is run by a couple older CCIEs. So they specailaize in placing solid network folks. So I did the initial screening interview and they went pretty nitty gritty on me (I expected this) but they asked me about RFCs even. I was basically in review mode on what fit the job description and was shocked for them to ask me about RFCs... also I could remember the specific name / type of broadcast a PC makes for an IP address (DHCP discover...I just mentioned "broadcast" but felt beaten down for not remembering that).
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    LaSeenoLaSeeno Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think researching the company you are interviewing with is underrated. Start talking about the company (when appropriate) and explain how your goals and vision align. At the end of the day, just be yourself. You don't want a job that's a bad fit anyway.