Options

Changing Careers from Windows to Linux?

NYC_IT_GuyNYC_IT_Guy Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I seriously want to change directions in my career. Linux has always stood out as that change, but I have never jumped in and started learning as much as I should. I do have the basic understanding of Linux, but that is about it. I plan to change that.
Before asking the questions, let me give a very basic overview of where I am in my life. I have been working in IT for close 15 years now. All of it has been on Windows Desktops and Servers. When it comes to servers, specifically been working and supporting Active Directory a lot, some exchange, some SCCM, VMware, and of course desktops when stuff like that gets escalated to me as a last resort. Again, very basic overview.

I want to move into Linux. I know it is not as easy as waving a magic wand, so I know this will take time.

My questions are – Where do I start? I have heard the arguments between Linux+/LPIC vs RHCSA. But what is your opinion?

Home lab – what would you suggest? For now I am thinking just virtualization so I can be up and running quickly. I already have installed CentOS and played around. And I have the hardware to run multiple instances of CentOS for different server roles if necessary.

And my last question is who has done this path? Who went from Windows to Linux and their career and how successful/happy are you now?

Thanks for your time - NYC_IT_Guy

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Do RHCSA, use VirtualBox and run CentOS.

Then learn AWS
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Thanks UnixGuy. May I ask why VirtualBox? I currently use VMWare workstation. I have used VirtualBox before, but is there a reason?
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    He was probaby assuming that you didn't have VMWare Workstation and recommended Virtualbox becuase it's free.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Vmware is better, I use it too on my MAC laptop. I suggested virtualbox because it's free that's all :)

Once you get your RHCSA and some AWS/Azure experience, there is a huge demand in the market, and your windows knowledge is a huge asset!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    Well Linux in what sense? Do you want to work in corporate Linux or work in Internet based Linux stuff?
  • Options
    Thanks UnixGuy. Yup, I figured that is why you recommended the Virtual Box.

So I guess that is the way to go and I thank you for your input. Of course if anyone else would like to add, feel free. :)
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Do RHCSA, use VirtualBox and run CentOS.

Then learn AWS
    Yep! You could do Linux+ as a primer so you have experience in different distributions, but I have only primarily seen Redhat or CentOS in enterprise environments.