Options

Do I need these for anything other than private vlans?

adrianm68adrianm68 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Presently studying for the CCNP switch exam

I see there are some of the following on ebay I can get for $60AUD:

[FONT=&quot]Cisco WS-C3750-24PS-[/FONT][FONT=&quot]S 24-Port PoE Switch
[/FONT]

I already have a couple of 3550's. Is it worth it for just pvlans, and some poe stuff? Will I use this functionality in the future?

They are pretty cheap, but won't my 3550's suffice?

Adrian
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
2017 Goals: Cisco: [x]Switch [ ]Route [ ]Tshoot

Cisco engineer's command to teach his dog to sit: "no stand"

Comments

• Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    there are other things like ssh, dot1x, QoS, SDM templates, and ipv6. the security stuff will probably be on the exam, but not QoS until you study for the ccie. And, auto mdix is nice to have. And, you could play with stackwise.

you can use the 3550's for access switches, but not for the distribution switches.

the 3750-24ps doesn't have enough flash to load version 15 of the ios. But, you could run it by booting from a tftp server.
  • Options
    adrianm68adrianm68 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    clarson wrote: »
    there are other things like ssh, dot1x, QoS, SDM templates, and ipv6. the security stuff will probably be on the exam, but not QoS until you study for the ccie. And, auto mdix is nice to have. And, you could play with stackwise.

you can use the 3550's for access switches, but not for the distribution switches.

the 3750-24ps doesn't have enough flash to load version 15 of the ios. But, you could run it by booting from a tftp server.

Thanks Clarson,

I think your 'other things' are all on the 3550's - certainly the ssh,dot1x, SDM and ipv6. But it might be nice to have a different switch to play with...
    2017 Goals: Cisco: [x]Switch [ ]Route [ ]Tshoot

Cisco engineer's command to teach his dog to sit: "no stand"
  • Options
    negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can do PVLANs in GNS3 nowadays and they work 100%. You can also configure VACLs but even though they seem to work, they don't.

If you still want to buy 3750s then get 2 of them and play with StackWise. It's a topic on the exam / blueprint :)
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    also
    lldp
    lldp med
    dhcp snooping
    newer version of eem
    hsrp v2
    flex link load balancing
    additional sla support
    per port per vlan policing
    udld