Options

Tier 1 vs Tier 2 Service Desk Salaries

KiyoriKiyori Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
Got an unexpected hint of possibly moving up to a Tier 2 Service Desk position.

Any opinions on how much of a salary bump I should ask for? (Should it come through)

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Tier 1 32,000 - 39,000; tier 2 37,000 - 45,000 (Just guessing)
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It depends on the responsibilities and the company. If you're doing what I was as a Level 2 - basically a hand in everything from Level 1 to Manager - then you should be asking $20+
    However I just got a new job (contractor) at Nationwide and ill be making $19/hr as a Level 1, then if they decide to make me FTE, it would be a minimum of $22/hr for Level 1 work.

Edit: With your Certs, why are you working Help Desk?
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    KiyoriKiyori Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Experience level - This will be about my 8th month working in IT. I just came from a service desk job, but I accepted the "lateral" transfer because it would put me in a better environment to branch out to something else like server admin or security.

So, I'm guessing that a salary difference between Tier 1 and 2 is around $10K-$15K?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Maybe, maybe not. An individuals salary depends on so many factors no one can really say. It could vary substantially for two people in the same position at the same company.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe, maybe not. An individuals salary depends on so many factors no one can really say. It could vary substantially for two people in the same position at the same company.

Fairly accurate.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    stark4stark4 Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A lot of companies have limit on how much they can give you as a raise if you are moving up within the company. If thats the case with your company, they will not be able to give you the market rate. Thats one thing you have to keep in mine.
  • Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    For me in the UK moving from 1st line to 2nd line was a 30% increase in salary
  • Options
    skswitchskswitch Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kiyori wrote: »
    Got an unexpected hint of possibly moving up to a Tier 2 Service Desk position.

Any opinions on how much of a salary bump I should ask for? (Should it come through)

Few factors that are going to weigh into this.

Try gauging this by using something that pulls salary expectations in your area. Take some sites with grain a salt though cause they could be way off. I use websites like Glassdoor for companies to get a idea for what their positions scale is.

- Your background (Experience, Education, Certs etc)
    The more the better. This is what is going to give you more sway is what you are asking or for counter offer.

- Responsibilities
    Titles in IT...can be meaningless sometimes. Tier 1 at company A can be all the job duties from A to M and Tier 1 at company B can be all the job duties from N to Z. More responsibilities = More pay. Least that's the idea lol.

Example:
    My first IT job was T1 paid 30k-36k T2 was bout 37k-40k
    Job I am at now is more responsibilities and technical. T1 scale is 50k - 60k and T2 is 60-70k.