Options

Help me with a business idea

DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
Okay first off this could get long, I'm just gonna start typing.

I have over 20 yrs of experience in IT. Very broad knowledge MSP type of jobs throughout that time as well as lots of service department operations experience from being in big and small shops. With that comes excellent customer service skills and
I'm at the top of my game at every position, the GOTO guy, the guy winning all the awards, getting the bonuses, etc. Not saying
I'm the best there is, just spelling out that I do have what it takes on the technical and customer service sides of the business.

My wife and I have been working towards getting ourselves into a position where we have minimal debt and costs of living and
we're about to make a move into a new town with much lower cost of living and put us in a great position to try risky things such
as career changes without losing a quality of life.

I have all the skills to operate a small business from all sides, the key thing I really lack is great sales skills, I'm pretty pathetic in that area however eager to jump in the fire and learn.

So starting out my little IT business will have to take clients from anywhere I can get them. I'd love to say I'm going to only take high paying consulting jobs or big MSP contracts etc, but I don't have the connections, don't have the money and will
have to start at the bottom and get my hands dirty, possibly for many years, but that will be okay because I have no financial
risk.

I've had other businesses not IT related in the past, but the risk was to great and I had to give them up. I did learn a lot about business and a lot about myself.

I'll likely be doing any type of desktop work I can get, trying to get contracts where I can from very small office clients.
Printers, I do know the printer repair business extremely well and have managed those types of operations in my past
Network install, repair, contracts
IT Consulting
Small business web marketing consulting
I also have the means to operate cloud solutions, MSP type remote stuff, etc.

Anyone got any thoughts? Am I completely mad? Take my idea with the understanding that while my goals may be to grow this into much more than a "ONE MAN SHOW". If it does end up making me only a modest salary I'm fine with that as well since money won't be the primary reason for doing this.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, getting clients would be the hardest part. From what you've said it looks like there will be no problem in keeping them.

Also, depends on a town you are moving to... Big and dynamic city would be the best bet, but smaller towns, I don't know. Are there any local small businesses at all?

Off the top of my head I can suggest two approaches, more and less risky.

1. Less risky. You invest in getting business cards. Then you start making cold calls and cold soliciting visits to each and every company that may have computers, asking them if they have any issues you may look at and fix for free and see if they will be willing to sign a contract after that, switching from whatever they currently have. You show up at every local user group or computer meetup or whatever event and sell yourself. You may invest in a T-shirt with some nice ad, etc. Also, you may create your own meetups and prepare some speeches or presentations on some hot topics... Obviously you will need a simple web-site with a contact form and a couple of articles on the subject, like "advantages of this or that printer model for small businesses printing this amount of sheets per month".

2. More risky. You open a JOAT computer repair shop on some local plaza and pay for rent. Put your wife there and sit yourself welcoming everyone who happens to enter and fixing whatever problem they bring with themselves, etc. Later on you could become busy visiting clients and your wife will stay there to receive calls, etc. Plus all from p. 1.

But that is a very low margin type of business from what I can tell... This is just some stupid brainstorming on my part here, it could be something totally unrealistic. Good luck anyways.
  • Options
    Thanks for your thoughts, the area we are moving to has tons of businesses, especially small ones and lots of small/mid sized towns around to draw on for potential clients in an hour radius.

I'd love to be able to get my wife working for me during the 8-5 period, but that may not be possible at this time. Her career is in sales and she's very good at her role. She will be able to help with networking since her job typically puts her in front of a lot of the local community businesses. I'd definitely hit up chamber meetings and the area business development guys are extremely involved in running area volunteer events which I'll be able to attend and get my name out.

As for your #2 the area has a good number of these types of places already, I don't know the people running them, but the looks of the store fronts and locations of these places tells me very low margin as well. In my earlier days I even worked for these types of shops and I do know that they have a place, but I'm going after more professionalism and not so much "home user" break fix style repair.

The good part is I'll be able invest 100% of the profit back into the company and knowing my weakest area, getting someone on board to help sell would be one of my priorities.
  • Options
    bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    I'm a tech for a 5 man MSP servicing clients anywhere from 5-50 user businesses. Have a good amount of knowledge in this area so I may be able to help you.

Not sure how far you are in your planning but here are some things to think about:

1. Offerings: It seems like you are going for the do-it-all type of MSP. Couple big things that clients would be looking for that I didn't see you mention: business continuity solutions (backups), CRMs, phones. How are you with these? Savvy clients may ask about cloud solutions like AWS or O365 (also a great way to set yourself apart becoming proficient in cloud stuff. Should be a necessity these days but many MSPs are lacking here)
    2. Marketing: Chamber meetings and word of mouth are great. SEO could be huge.
    3. Sales: Not really a sales person but for potential clients all I can suggest is identifying areas for improvement and selling solutions. IMO sales largely follows from ability to actually be a good consultant.
    4. Pricing: How will you be pricing clients? Hourly break/fix (hourly rate?)? MSP contract (Per user or per node, will client be required to move to your specific solutions, term, etc.). Do you know your competition in the area and what they offer and their pricing?

You may also want to think about going into this with a partner that compliments your weaknesses.

Obviously we all learn stuff as we go but just some stuff to think about. The less you have to wing it the better and the less messy it will be, especially since you aspire to be more than a one man shop. Best to plan now while you have time icon_wink.gif. I can go into more detail into how we operate if you want any ideas about anything especially from a technical perspective.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't think you're crazy.

You will need a business plan first and foremost.

At some point you will need to create some contracts too.

I posted some links below, I'm hope they're helpful.

Here are some SOP videos for Managed Service Providers:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC8KYKhZTqAO1vBlVVIL2rQ8t31DD-5IN

There are some good book and links here:
    SOP Friday - I.T. Standard Operating Procedures for Computer Consultants

I think alot of links listed below will help you get an idea of hwoto set up you MSP:

Introduction to SOPs for Technical Consultants and MSPs

Setting Up an MSP Office
    Small Biz Thoughts by Karl W. Palachuk: SOP Friday: Setting Up an MSP Office

Getting Started - Naming Your Business
    Small Biz Thoughts by Karl W. Palachuk: SOP Friday: Getting Started - Naming Your Business

Getting Started - The Form of Your Business
    Small Biz Thoughts by Karl W. Palachuk: SOP Friday: Getting Started - The Form of Your Business

Another book link:
    Managed Services in a Month

I have heard the pumpkin plan book is a good read, when you're trying to start a business:
    The Pumpkin Plan by Mike Michalowicz
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Your giving me more things to run through my plan. I do have the business pretty much ready to launch just holding off to move and get settled and see what happens. I think with enough time I can get it to pay "ME" a wage but I'd like to take it to the next level where you add a few service techs, maybe even a couple people on a sales team and administrative positions. At least I'm in a position where I can more easily afford to add people vs paying my personal bills.

I have cloud knowledge and can help small businesses with that however I wouldn't call myself an expert in that area yet. Its something I'm planning.
    I'm also planning to really push small businesses to get more secure with their data, backups, user accounts, etc. From what I see everyday small businesses are at extreme risk in losing data or having data stolen and its certainly an area that can be improved, but cost and expertise is a major
    concern for those businesses.

Those links are very nice. I'll get to reading them asap.
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    I will add the security could be a big focus. Offering vulnerability management, phish and social engineering training to small business I think would be helpful. Cyber security is in the papers these days and everyone is a target no matter what your size, especially with ransomware. Add PCI compliance and your in business.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005