Options

ITIL digital badges

MefodeyMefodey Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
Just wondering, whether it's possible to get ITIL digital badge ?
Check www.youracclaim.com if you don't know what i mean
I found some info about it on axelos.com, but if i right, digital badges issues annually only for members and the membership is rather expensive (100 GBP+VAT per year)
Are there any cheaper options?

Comments

• Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Mefodey

AXELOS are issuing digital badges for ITIL via their membership scheme. They have just run a special offer (I think it's expired now) so maybe worth signing up to their mailing list for future offers? No other organization would be permitted to offer ITIL badges under copyright laws but some training companies and exam institutes might also have deals as resellers.

Claire
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    What benefit does the digital badge offer?

I know that Axelos let people check if you are actually certified by using either your name or candidate number ( https://www.axelos.com/successful-candidates-register ) and this is the normal way for people to let employers verify their status.

For that sort of money I would want a tangible benefit such as discounted exam fees, access to free beta courses or similar.

I don't see anything on the link other than saving a few clicks for a potential hirer, and since they don't usually check certs until an offer has been made, they are invested enough to click on a link and copy/paste your name.

I suspect they are relying on being the only player in town to be successful, but most big certifications players have their own version of this so I suspect that if any of them stepped up to standardise the industry then it would sink Youracclaim.com
  • Options
    UncleB wrote: »
    What benefit does the digital badge offer?

I know that Axelos let people check if you are actually certified by using either your name or candidate number ( https://www.axelos.com/successful-candidates-register ) and this is the normal way for people to let employers verify their status.

For that sort of money I would want a tangible benefit such as discounted exam fees, access to free beta courses or similar.

I don't see anything on the link other than saving a few clicks for a potential hirer, and since they don't usually check certs until an offer has been made, they are invested enough to click on a link and copy/paste your name.

I suspect they are relying on being the only player in town to be successful, but most big certifications players have their own version of this so I suspect that if any of them stepped up to standardise the industry then it would sink Youracclaim.com

You are right, digital badge certainly doesn't worth 100 GBP per year, but you pay for the membership and there are another benefits from axelos for members, you can check it on their website.
    As to me, digital badges is a good idea, badges are more representative, you can use them in different ways. But i really don't understand why i should pay for this service, once i get certified.
    As soon as i have a valid certificate, i should have a valid digital badge without extra cost - that's reasonable for me
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    Mefodey wrote: »
    As soon as i have a valid certificate, i should have a valid digital badge without extra cost - that's reasonable for me

VMWare did this (issued me a digital badge) when I passed my VCP6-DCV cert a few weeks ago - all part of the exam fee (about US$200) which is about the same as the ITIL exam cost.

I hope AXELOS come round to the idea that their current approach looks greedy and incorporate it as part of the exam costs.
  • Options
    A question from me as a training provider - a couple of orgs we work with are talking about digital badges, how would you use them? If you value them, why? I see a couple of people with them on linkedin profiles etc. but I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts.

Claire
  • Options
    A question from me as a training provider - a couple of orgs we work with are talking about digital badges, how would you use them? If you value them, why? I see a couple of people with them on linkedin profiles etc. but I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts.

Claire

Hi, Claire
    I use badges mainly in two ways:
    - In my linkedin profile
    - In my e-mail signature

Also i have colleagues, who are using badges the same way

The main advantage of using digital badges is that HR, for example, or any other person can easily verify certification status without knowing anything about certification itself. For ITIL one should know specific page on Axelos website in order to check status. It can be a real problem, if you hold many different certificates.
    More over, on the youracclaim.com personal page one can easily get overview of certain certification.
    As for me, it's a handy service
  • Options
    Thanks Mefodey, that's useful feedback. We've come a long way since paper certificates :)