Changing Group Scopes

toddvbtoddvb Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Johan - Enjoyed reading your Managing Groups TN, but wanted to verify something.
Your explanation of allowable scope changes makes more sense than anyone else's, but doesn't agree with many of the explanations I've seen.
The MS Self-Paced 290 Kit, for instance, states that "DLGs and GGs can be converted to UGs if the groups are not members of other groups in the same scope."
This matches your explanation for GGs, but is the opposite for DLGs.
I'm assuming that your's is correct, since their's leaves me with an incorrect answer on one of (their own) Measure-up questions!
Haven't seen this inconsistency noted on any of the (other) Cert Boards, despite differing explanations by MS and ExamCram2.
Anyone else have opinions/comments on this?

Comments

• eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    if you have any question about it i would suggest you open AD Users and Computers, create the groups with diff scopes, do all the stuff to them and see whether or not AD lets you change their scope.
    that way you'll know for sure.
    witty comment
  • toddvbtoddvb Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Excellant suggestion, omni.
    Found Johan's description correct except for one possible problem:
    "A universal group can be changed to a domain local group at any time".
    I Get an error message when changing a UG that is a member of another UG to DL, which makes sense since DLGs can't be members of a UG?
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    yep. while i can't remember atm all the ins and outs of scope intermingling, when i was studying for the 290 i just created several groups and did what i said above, created all sorts of combos and like that learned the rules.
    witty comment