Options

Unacceptable mistake - 7th edition AIO

SirkassadSirkassad Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I decided to get a refresher on kerberos..
Here is a snippet from Shon's AIO (Brand new 7th edition). It is the very first step for Kerberos, I'll change the names to protect the innocenticon_wink.gif

Suzee comes in to work and enters her username and password into her workstation at 8:00 A.M.The Kerberos software on Suzee’s computer sends the username to the authentication service (AS) on the KDC, which in turn sends Suzee a ticket granting ticket (TGT) that is encrypted with the TGS's secret key.
If Suzee has entered her correct password, then this TGT is decrypted and Suzee gains access to her local workstation desktop.

Anyone see anything wrong with this?

Here's the snippet from Shon's 6th edition, different user ;)
Donna comes in to work and enters her username and password into her workstation at 8:00 A.M.
The Kerberos software on Donna’s computer sends the username to the authentication service (AS) on the KDC, which in turn sends Donna a ticket granting ticket (TGT) that is encrypted with Donna’s password (secret key).
If Donna has entered her correct password, then this TGT is decrypted and Donna gains access to her local workstation desktop.

How in the H.E double hockey stick does something like that get published in the latest edition? If someone was trying to learn kerberos and they read the 7th edition they would (and should) be totally confused as to how Suzee can decrypt the TGT if it is encrypted with the TGS's secret key... my gawd!!!

Comments

• Options
    x2y2z2x2y2z2 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there

Minor opinion:

I recently finished reading this 7th edition. Going to take the exam soon.

I figured by just reading this book I wouldn't pass the exam. Any doubts or ambiguities or errors I found (like the one you mentioned), I just went to web for a detailed answer and took notes on that. Some of them I went to NIST document itself and took quick notes.

This doesn't mean the book is bad. It's just a common body of language and reference book. Its not a technical science or math book.. That's how I looked at it and didn't expect all good answers :) Besides most books have some errors.

Warning: It's a real tedious book for what it covers. For every chapter I took notes from that book since there is ZERO chance I can go back to that book and review it since it way too bloated and can't find what I want.

For each chapter on "average" I have about 800 text lines of notes (using this book and outside source). Network and communication chapter I have about 2000 lines. I just review this notes, take tests and add notes to it. Never go back to the book :)

Good luck!
    greshan
  • Options
    SirkassadSirkassad Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Let me know how the test goes, and good Luck!

What are your primary sources of study? The 7th edition, your notes, and ????