Options

Resume Critique

advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello all,Was hoping you could rip my resume a new one and help me to make it better. Any information is good information, I'd like a successful transition out of the military.

Thanks for taking your time to read through it.

Resume for destruction- TE.doc
Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog

Comments

• Options
    atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    So, you've got plenty of experience and your certifications are good. I would suggest to shorten your descriptions on each job and make it more precise. I had to take a writing class in college and resumes and CVs were one of the chapters. My professor gave me some simple advice, "Get your point across without the BS." No need to add fluff words, get right to the point. Also, your numbers are good. Always quantify your experience. e.g., "supporting 10,000 local customers and 15,000 remote users." Good!!

All in all, pretty good resume. Just shorten each job description. I opened it and immediately just wanted to start skimming through because there were so many words.
  • Options
    To be clear, you're saying to shorten the overall job description correct? Are you also meaning the noteworthy accomplishments? I just wanted to clarify. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    More overall job description than the achievements. The average time an HR person looks at a resume is 6 seconds. Try to make them 6 seconds very eye appealing (less words). Good luck on the transition!
  • Options
    I gotcha. I've compressed the resume more and switched things around given the type of community I'm in
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like it. I use the exact same format on my resume. Pretty sure we both stole that from someone on here. I used dots instead of check marks. I don't know why, just didn't like all those check marks everywhere. Just my preference and sure it means close to nothing either way.

Maybe use the check marks for the certifications and dots for the experience section. Or vice versa. Or can leave it. Just something I changed on mine. Everything looks good imo. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are some things I would change but just my opinion as it looks pretty darn good the way it is.

1. Your name is the largest font there and shouldn't any larger than the other headers since your name isn't more important than your experience. Keep 2 main font sizes, I typically stick with 14 for headers and name and 11 for base text.

2. Formatting should be done utilizing the "Page Layout" tab in MS word if that's what your using. Instead of hitting "Enter" twice to create a gap between sections utilize the "Spacing" area in the "Paragraph" section under the "Page Layout" tab in MS Word. The "Before" and "After" spacing works a charm with formatting and makes it look very clean.

3. I personally never include my address in the heading section since most jobs don't need it unless they specifically state otherwise. Some bored HR person could always look up your address on google maps and get more info on you than they really need.

Nice resume though, I like how you kept consistency with lining everything up, using periods after EVERY sentence, and keeping it appealing to the eyes.
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017
  • Options
    Good points, thanks for taking the time out to look! I've noticed some past tense vs present tense things I need to change as well.