Options

Advice - Permanent to Contract position

superbeastsuperbeast Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I have currently been in my first IT job for about 7 months now. It is a small company and the IT dept consists of help desk for customer's issues with software. Job is extremely casual and in my honest opinion, the workload is so small, only one person is needed for this role. Comes with benefits but I opt out because my spouse's benefits are better.

I was recently contacted by a staffing agency about a contract to hire position with a health network(hospital) as a Workstation PC Technician. The job description is below...

"Support a robust Microsoft based network running XP, Win 7, Lotus Notes. Duties may include receiving assets, moving equipment for build/image activity, interviewing clients as a part of pre-deployment asset discovery, executing equipment replacement activity, updating asset management system to reflect work performed. monitor daily activity, installing and maintaining PC hardware and software, troubleshooting network usage and computer peripherals, perform system backups and data recovery, resolve network communication problems, disk capacity monitoring, network security"

This type of role is more in line with what I would want as a resume builder and the hospital is one of the larger health networks that I can see myself moving up in the company(not so much with my current employer). Downside: Pay is $3 less than what I make now(can increase if offered permanent position) and I would be leaving a permanent position for a contract position that may decide to not take me on permanently after the contract period.

Any advice/suggestions/experience you can share to help me make this decision?

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't know if I would call a network running XP and Lotus Notes "robust". I came from a company using Lotus Notes, and it was a horrible experience. But in my own personal opinion, I would stay with the permanent, as I prefer job security over wages. I would probably stay in your current position until you have more experience/certs, then move on and up to another permanent position if you can.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't necessarily do it. Yes the extra experience could be nice...but it could be a horrible work environment, plus bad pay, so perhaps the experience wouldn't be positive. A lot of times with hospitals your on call 24/7 and I'll tell you in a 24/7 healthcare environment you will probably get a lot of middle of the night calls. Less money, more work. I'd suggest if you interview you ask a ton of questions about the job, expectations, etc.

What other similar jobs are in your area? Are there a lot, or very few? So, if you take this contractor gig, and it doesn't work out would you be able to easily find something else? If you could find something else easily, then the contract isn't as risky, so getting the experience could be justified.

Since the current workload is so small, might your managers lay you off? If your current job is at risk, then there is a reason to consider the contract job.

Do you see other contract jobs available in your area that might be a cut, but not as large? Where if the hospital didn't work out you have other options for experience?

Can you ask to help in other areas in IT at your current gig? Perhaps create opportunities to get more experience, yet still retain the better pay?

I took a large cut in pay to get into IT, so I'm not saying not to consider it, but consider it well. When I left healthcare, I took a pay cut, but also wasn't getting up at 2AM to deliver equpment an hour away two or three nights a week. So it was less pay, some IT experience, but also a more casual work day, and pretty much 8 to 5. By the same token within two years I found another job where I made up for the pay cut, plus about $10K more because of the experience from those two years at less pay. Now I make more than I ever would have at that first job I had before the pay cut.

With so little experience, a contract gig may be something you have to consider. I did some when I was at your point also. Now with nearly 20 years experience, I probably wouldn't consider a contract role unless things were rough in the economy, my current job, or something like that. And I convinced one company that wanted to hire me contract that I wouldn't take it, and they made the job full time because my experience gave me some creds. When I started in IT that isn't something I could have tried.
  • Options
    superbeastsuperbeast Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My current role revolves around a lot of SQL DB which I do find fun because it breaks from the normal customer routine of "this doesn't work like I want it to, fix it". I figured the PC Tech experience might make me more marketable when I do look for something after I get my Network+ and Security+ and get serious about job searches. I was honestly surprised I was offered the position. I only applied after I obtained my Associates degree in Computer Information Systems and only did so to gain experience with interviewing for IT so I know what employers are looking for in an IT employee.

I am leaning more on not taking it because the downtime at my current job allows me to study for my Network+ and is more pay. I don't see my job in jeopardy at the moment as they're talking about flying me out to do training at the corporate office this month. I've always understood working for a bigger company has better benefits and room for growth but on call all night and deliveries at 2AM do not sound conducive to family/home life.