Cost of Security+

CJWelch89CJWelch89 Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I want to renew my CompTIA certifications by sitting the [FONT=&quot]SY0-401 before they all expire.

[/FONT]
icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif Are they having a laugh with their pricing???

Subtotal: 201.00
Estimated Tax: 40.20

ESTIMATED TOTAL DUE:
GBP 241.20

And that's not including the £150 for the CE renewal fee.

£391.2 I have to pay if I want to renew. I'm struck for words, do they think this entry-level certificate warrants such a price? No wonder so many people let there CompTIA certs expire.

Does anyone know if this can be booked cheaper? No way in hell I'm paying that for this, I'll crack on with my eCPPT instead (that's actually value), CompTIA is a joke!

Rant over!

Comments

• swampratswamprat Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're not paying 391.20 to renew your Security+, you're paying 391.20 to renew all three. 43.46/yr for another three years on three certs seems reasonable to me.
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you think thats expensive then I have some bad news for you, it gets exponentially more expensive. Also, CompTIA is the cheapest to maintain of any other cert org that requires CEUs.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    look at CEH's price icon_sad.gif
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Everyone is raising their prices lately. I just read another post on the huge increase of VMware certs. It sucks, but they know people/businesses will pay it, especially if they are work requirements. Paying for your own certs is very difficult nowadays.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This is the first time I see CompTIA been called a joke. Are you sure you didn't mean EC Council?
  • ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    You don't have to pay to renew all the other certs once you pay, take and pass the Security+, once you do that they all renew...
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    ultm8mind wrote: »
    You don't have to pay to renew all the other certs once you pay, take and pass the Security+, once you do that they all renew...

This is true. To renew, you can EITHER take the CE path, OR you can take your highest level exam again. The CE path is most useful when you pass certifications from other vendors. So a CCNP Security (or RHCE or CISSP or a combination of things) would renew your Security+, but you'd need to pay the CE fee.

So GBP 241.20 is the most you would pay.

I'd suggest looking for discount codes (10-15% is usually easy to find), or buying exam voucher, since you can usually save a good amount. A quick Google shows a few sites selling for ~£190 (including VAT).
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Falls_TechFalls_Tech Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My Network+ is on hold. I always hit sales when they're available and expensive things get put on hold. For instance I just got an incredible deal on a Outdoor Vital sleepingbag. And I saved 25% on something else. And I'm waiting for a sale on another expensive 'toy'. If Comptia comes out with a 'sale' I'll jump on it but for now Comptia is in a holding pattern....
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That is a great reason why you should understand what you are getting into when you originally test. Their costs are relatively on par with other certifications but they aren't something that everybody maintains later in their career because the value is entry level.