Vlans

fpsofpso Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have two servers on the same subnet that I am trying to access. One VM on my PC and a separate VM on a physical server. How would I access these at the same time? If I put them in separate VLANs then the client on my PC wont be able to talk to the physical server? PLZZZZZZ HELPPPPPPPP

Comments

• WastedHatWastedHat Member Posts: 132 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You need a layer 3 device to communicate between VLANs. So a router or L3 switch.
  • fpsofpso Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so router on a stick?
  • WastedHatWastedHat Member Posts: 132 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Router on a stick is used on a trunk between a router and a switch. If your PC and server are connected to a switch in seperate VLANs this could be a solution.

If your PC and server are connected directly to each other you could set up a static routes or a virtual router.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You will need a device that routes and that is also capable of differentiating VLAN tags.

A cisco router will work, or anything else that can do VLAN subinterfaces (Router on a stick). PFSense's router OS works great as well, as well as any linux-based router.

Netgear doesn't do VLAN tagging, nor does most of your mainstream wireless routers. OpenWRT I think may support it as well, and Mikrotik.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []