Options

Career Advice/Certification Advice

rcwillia1992rcwillia1992 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good evening all, I have my Bachelors in Computer Science. Recently I have obtained my Security +. I have no experience and currently trying to find work. I know I want to take the Cyber Security Path, but do not know which cert to get next wheter it be the CSA+ or the CASP. I see comments on the CSA+ but no legit books or preferred requirements for this certification when I look up jobs. I also am inquiring on whether the ITIL v3 cert falls in line with cyber security. Any help would be much needed and any tips on things I can do in my spare time or certain projects to build on before potential job interviews.

Comments

• Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Before you jump ahead there are a few things to consider. If you take any one of these certs that you have mentioned, a lot goes into concepts/theory. Look at the objectives within the CASP or CSA. If you are just starting out, a lot of that stuff is going to be over your head. You really need to look at getting some of the core experience in place first, so that you understand how some of this stuff works. Although these certs are still fine to get, you need to think about what your ideal job would be, what interests you the most.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    certs won't get you hired, they're simply a "helper" to make you stand out from the crowd. keep working on the certs, but also start to develop those real world skills. download free tools and learn how they work - there are plenty of youtube videos to help you out. nessus, splunk, security onion, metasploit, etc. also work on those linux, windows, powershell command line & scripting skills
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I disagree with the above statement, while having experience is obviously necessary, certs WILL get you hired. Especially when it comes to the DoD, we literally hand out jobs to anyone who can obtain a security clearance and holds a security + certification.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    McxRisley wrote: »
    I disagree with the above statement, while having experience is obviously necessary, certs WILL get you hired. Especially when it comes to the DoD, we literally hand out jobs to anyone who can obtain a security clearance and holds a security + certification.

^^^^^^ unfortunately true, but realize this is helpdesk type of slots where the turnover rate is high.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Some of them are help desk type slots but most of them are Remediation Analyst/Information Assurance Analyst jobs. Can you breathe? can you learn to STIG and use Nessus? You're hired!
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.