Options

Share level vs. user level access in 9x.

w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
I was taking the Exam Cram practice test and it said that with share level access on Win '98, users must enter a password to gain access to a share. But I thought, depending on the folder's settings, the folder was either read-only, full access, or password protected. Do they mean by default or what?

Regarding user level access, the practice exam said that it is determined by the user's permissions. I noticed that when user level is selected there is a text box below it. What is entered in this text box?

Comments

• Options
    O.K. I figured the first part out. With share level access there is always a password. Basically, the Depends on Password option threw me off. Apparently, there are passwords for Read-Only and Full, and when a folder is set to Depends on Password, the user gain gain access with either password. Right?
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Depend on password means that it depends on the password being used to access the share, if the read-only password is used, the user has....
  • Options
    Got it. But with user-level access, what do you put in that text box. Is it a file or directory where user permissions are located or something?
  • Options
    User-level access in Windows 98? icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    User-level access in Windows 98? icon_confused.gif

Yeah. Open the Network applet in the Control Panel of a '98 box and look at the Access Control tab. See what I mean? What goes in the text box?
  • Options
    jrowejrowe Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the computer or network domain where the user list is stored is what goes in the text box.
  • Options
    Ah yes, I thought you meant a text box on the share properties... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Yup, that check box should be labeled NT domain... User level access means a domain account, central administration, blah blah, so you need to log into the domain.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=