Options

Long time developer looking to move into security space

avramlavraml Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello - I'm a long time developer (~20 years) - mostly web applications and a lot of database work.

As a developer of public faces web apps I've always had an interest in security - but my interests are broad from penetration testing to incident response (read a few books in this realm).

Since I currently have one of those dead-end, slow jobs with a bit of free time I decided to start learning something new. I completed the Security+ exam in 2016 and the CISSP last week.

As a developer looking to move into the security space, can you make suggestions for additional education and/or finding a job? I see plenty of security audit positions but few which leverage both development skills and the security realm.

On my job hunts over the years it has been quite easy to find jobs as the demand is high, but I am at a loss on how to transition into another area. Most recruiters call me for .Net related positions but when I bring up security I might as well be speaking Greek.

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am also in a similar situation.
    Developer 12+ years of development experience. A little bit of everything over the years from C++, Java, C# .Net, Web Development (JQuery, CSS), MSSQL, MySQL, Oracle, Linux, Unix and Windows systems.

Always had a interest and a passion for cyber security. Finding it hard to break into with out #1. Moving #2. Direct experience.