Options

Need CEU's for Sec+ or getting ready to take Sec+? Professor Messer live NOW!

shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP

Comments

• Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    How do you actually get the credits? And how many?
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    brownwrap wrote: »
    How do you actually get the credits? And how many?

You log into CompTIA and self-claim 1 hour of training per CEU. It's been about a year since doing this for me, but I remember a spot to upload an image/pdf of the training certificate as well as input fields for name of training, trainer, date taken, etc. There are CompTIA lists of pre-approved trainings for those concerned with I'm guessing failing an audit because the training they used was inadequate.

Called me paranoid, but I wouldn't dare use "watching Youtube" as counting towards CEUs. A little too dubious of a source IMHO. I get a feeling that CompTIA is generally too lazy to bother auditing most people so this sort of training can fly under the radar a lot. Could be wrong. Is it worth the risk?
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    ok, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Greg
  • Options
    mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Video courses are common for CEU's. Why does it matter that it's hosted on Youtube? It's the largest video hosting platform.

Don't be silly. Professor Messer is a well known study source for CompTIA exams. I doubt he would be openly advertising CEU's from his study group videos if it wasn't in line with CompTIA requirements.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Because CompTIA said so. Maybe Professor Messer should reconsider what he's claiming.
    https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/downloadablefiles/comptia-continuing-education-activity-chart.pdf?sfvrsn=2
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    yoba222 wrote: »

Okay, let's look at what CompTIA says:
    Prerecorded webinars, webcasts,podcasts or YouTube videos arenot valid for CEUs unless certifiedprofessionals can provide proofof registration or completioncertificates

Guess what Professor Messer emails you on request after watching one of his study group videos?
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
  • Options
    I've submitted like 8 CEU's from watching Professor Messer live events to CompTIA & they are listed in my profile. I believe you can watch his previous videos & email him to get CEU verifications to submit to CompTIA.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    swampratswamprat Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Settle down children, you're all right. No, watching a youtube video by itself is not valid for CEUs. Yes, watching Professor Messer's videos (and following up with him to get a certificate of completion) is valid for CEUs. The only caveat is the same as that for all CEUs, and that's to check the CEU site and see what the limit is on that type of particular activity on earning CEUs for the particular test you're attempting to renew. Also make sure you check again if you haven't checked recently, as they do make changes at times.
  • Options
    I apologize, my tone was unnecessarily hostile.

Part of my frustration is that I'm fairly new to the whole certification business, and at the outset I found the whole CEU process confusing and a bit overwhelming. I finally realized half of what makes it confusing is just the amount of inaccurate or misleading information and advice you can find when you read through some of these threads.
  • Options
    swampratswamprat Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, there's a lot of misleading information. In general, the CEU assessment is one of best places to go, as that wizard is pretty good. Comptia also tends to be good about answering questions if you have them, too.

And no worries on the tone, just wanted to make sure that anyone who read this thread in the future knew that both answers were right and valid in their own context. As you said, unclear threads are always rough.
  • Options
    That's why it's always best to ask questions, ask Google, ask CompTIA, & put on your best web searching skills...I know I am not always correct, but I do try to relay the right info...No, BS'n here! :)