Options

eLearnSecurity PTSv3

CJWelch89CJWelch89 Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I noticed that the PTSv3 material is fairly out of date (a lot from 2015), does anyone know if there's an update soon?

Also anyone happen to know of any places offering voucher/coupon codes?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There is an updated version... PTPv4. It came out sometime last year, I can't remember when.
    To my knowledge there is no coupon codes nor vouchers unless you just want to take the eCPPT Gold exam, then it's 400USD.
    https://www.elearnsecurity.com/shop/

For the upgrade from v3 to v4, there was code for a discount for the upgrade. From time to time, there will be a code for a discount but it happens a few times a year.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The OP is asking about PTS, the student version, not PTP, the professional version which was updated more recently.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeaa my bad. I noticed that when I saw the title on the main page.

As far as an update, I think emailing the company about it would be the best way to go. I haven't seen anything on their website about an update coming up and also, the course material doesn't seem that out of date because it's covering the basics like attack methods and tools.

Once in a while there will be a voucher for a free barebones because of an invite. I think that at times there will be a deal when someone gets the 'elite' version of the course and it'll come with a barebones to be given out by that person who brought the elite version.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CJWelch89 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I noticed that the PTSv3 material is fairly out of date (a lot from 2015)

What exactly do you see outdated? Did you go through the syllabus or just generalizing because the release was late 2015? I am sure there is an update slated for later this year or early next year (generalizing here too lol)

I went through it in December 2016 and it was good, I really didn't find much to complain about or felt it was outdated at all. It is very well made for beginners.

https://www.elearnsecurity.com/collateral/Syllabus_PTSV3.pdf
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    airzeroairzero Member Posts: 126
    chrisone wrote: »
    What exactly do you see outdated? Did you go through the syllabus or just generalizing because the release was late 2015? I am sure there is an update slated for later this year or early next year (generalizing here too lol)I went through it in December 2016 and it was good, I really didn't find much to complain about or felt it was outdated at all. It is very well made for beginners. https://www.elearnsecurity.com/collateral/Syllabus_PTSV3.pdf
    I agree with @chrisone as I took the course in January and the material seems very well put together. It's meant to be a basics course to teach the methodology of approaching a penetration test and does a good job at it. It won't have you finding bleeding edge zero days or anything, but it'll walk you through some classic exploits that are prevalent in older and unpatched systems. I would equate this to the beginnings of OSCP, and this course is a great primer for the PWK course.