Options

Re-Certifying Question

anon1anon1 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I need to re-certify my Sec+. The last test I passed was SY0-301 three years ago. How much different is the new test? Would my 3 year old SY0-301 practice exam book be a good enough study tool for someone that has already passed before?

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It was changed but only about 10 to 20%, if I remember correctly. I wouldn't necessarily use such an old book, to be honest. Of course, if you are in security full-time it might be useful enough. You could, over course, attempt the CSA+ and it will renew your Security+ and wasn't too difficult.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Thank you for the reply. I purchased practice exams for SY0-401 and plan to use my old study guide to read up on anything I have forgotten.
  • Options
    BTW what is the difference between CSA+ and Sec+? CSA+ wasn't available when I got my sec+.
  • Options
    ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    Why didn't you just do the CEU's? I know people regardless of what was said in this thread that could not pass Sec+ (SYO401) the first and second times they took it after having passed the SYO301 exam "easily," and at least one even teaching Sec+. So, if you still have time to do the CEU's do them instead of taking SYO401...
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would STRONGLY suggest using updated material for the new exam as it is quite a bit different from the 301. As for the question about the differences between Sec+ and CSA+, the CSA+is a more specialized cert than the Sec+. It covers everything an analyst or blue team member would do on a daily basis as well as a few one off red team type questions. Things such as Linux, reading logs, reading packet captures, performing scans and reading the output, recognizing signs or commands for various attacks, and also a few questions over incident response and defensive countermeasures thrown in as well.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I studied the SY0-301 book for a test in 2013 and used the SY0-401 book and took the test in October 2016.

There is updated material between the two books. Is it enough updated material that it would be negligible to a test taker... I used updated material so I don't know, I wasn't ready to take that gamble.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you want to avoid having to take the test again, consider watching Cybrary videos. CompTIA accepts their training. This assumes, of course, that you have enough time.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    FWIW, I used a SY0-301 and an SY0-201 guide when I did the SY0-401. I originally passed the SY0-301, but it expired. I think I used a few online resources (blogs and articles, no videos), and details here about what had changed and what I needed to focus on. I also had more experience when I did the exam the second time, and had read a lot more beyond Sec+ level.

I think the newer exam might have been more difficult, but personally, I found both to be straight forward.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM